Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Desktop's Quick Search Box  (View post)

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, March 15, 2006
18 years ago

I can't seem to get it to update. I've downloaded the new version, but it always tells me i have the latest version running. Tried re-starting, and still nothing.

Any suggestions?

(my computer tells me i'm running version 4.2006.303.5-en)

joshua [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

this release? I DON'T THINK SO.

yow [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

when i download the version from desktop.google.com and try to install it it say i have a newer version installed already and it quits. I previously installled some beta versions. Seems like 3.0 hasn't been posted to their front page yet

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

it has, but i don't know why it's doing this. i've uninstalled and then re-installed. got the updated version now.

the quick search box is a brilliant idea!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have Google Desktop 4.2006.306.1208-en and it says I have a newer version than the one I've just downloaded it. So I can't install it.

18 years ago #

dpneal, can you tell us what version is the GDS you've just downloaded.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have Google Desktop 4.2006.303.5-en according to the about page. But the quick find (ctrl ctrl) option is working now! Which should only be visible in Google Desktop 4.2006.306.1208-en i think.

18 years ago #

It's not. I have this version from 11 March.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

So what is the new version number? Have you got the Quick Search Box feature?

18 years ago #

It seems a have a version with a higher number than the one available now at desktop.google.com. I'm not going to uninstall it for the quick search. If you press Windows+G, the focus goes to the search box. I don't see "the big new feature".

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

guess it's not a big new feature. just i much prefer it to the "windows + g" option. does get in the way at all. and easy to see.

Bobo [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

this seems to me like Quicksilver for Mac OS X 10.4, but it's more useful for searching and launching apps, but the idea is the same.
http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

Ciao

18 years ago #

I don't understand something: isn't this GDS 3? Why the software says it's GDS 4?

Mark M [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

This is silly – if there's a ctrlctrl shortcut to bring up a search box, then there should be a way to remove the existing searchbox from the desktop normally (I like the panels/widgets but i'm annoyed that it requires the search box to also be present on the taskbar or 'floating deskbar')

18 years ago #

Yes, there is. Select "none" (instead of sidebar, deskbar) from the menu that appears when you right-click GDS tray icon.

Chris C. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I cannot get this quick search box function to work. Pressing ctrl-ctrl does nothing, and I see no option to enable it in the Preferences. My "About" page indicates version 4.2006.306.1208.

18 years ago #

The same. Maye we should uninstall it and reinstall. Would we lose anything (preferences, rss feeds, data)?

18 years ago #

What if Google figured out that they have Google Desktop 3, not 4 and the setup compares the versions. Of course 3<4 so it doesn't install.

Chris C. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Uninstalling, restarting, and re-installing finally worked for me.

me [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

just be sure, when it asks you, to say that you want to keep the database

me [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

also, does anyone have any idea when/if they're going to release it though the google updater?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!