Google Blogoscoped

Forum

More Ads In Gmail?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, March 16, 2006
18 years ago

It used to be that I'd rarely see a Gmail ad.

Personal messages never seemed to hit the right words to give ads by the side. Only commercial emails seemed to get the sponsored links. I never saw sponsored links in the WebClips. And I wasn't using any AbBlock software.

Now every message has adverts. And many of the adverts seem totally unrelated, because there isn't enough substance in the message for Gmail to be able to target ads. The WebClips bar is stuffed with Sponsored Links.

Anyone else notice this change?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yeah i've found there to be more. but never found them to be unrelated. i quite like having them, because they never seem in the way.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Another small change in Gmail lately: the action buttons are now also below the email list (not just above).

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

ah i didn't notice that. but it's very helpful. now if only they would display the action buttons when i open an email in a new window.

18 years ago #

Wow! Well noticed.

One thing I wish they would do is merge the search for mail and the search for contacts. So that if you plug in an email address of one of your friends it displays their page in your contacts.

ardief [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I also got offered a link to a map of an address mentioned in the email...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

that would be a very good idea sam. i would like a google map for your contacts so you can plug in a street address for them and see where they are.

ardief, this feature has been out some time, but it's the first i've heard of it in action.

Lucas Novae [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

A few days ago I was about to post the fact that GMail wasn't showing any ads whatsoever in my email... Now they're all over the place.

I expect them to be there, so it's comforting (shows me google isn't leaning towards charging for the service instead of ad-supporting it...)

18 years ago #

Lucas – I was exactly the same.

I was thinking Gmail must be quite expensive to run. It is not the most popular webmail site on the web, but it still has loads of users. Times that by 2.6whatever GB. Plus the engineers they employ. And with (seemingly) no ads I found it difficult to see how it was going to keep going. But now the ads are back and in their hundreds.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!