Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Finance  (View post)

-_- [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, March 21, 2006
18 years ago

"On the technical side, Google Finance is one of the few Google sites which make use of Flash. (Others are Google Analytics and some Google advertisement micro-sites.) The Flash part on the screen nicely adjusts its width to your browser size."

Umm... google video?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You're absolutely right, I added this to the post.

Nanaki [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Works for Belgian stocks too, so I guess it's not US-only. :)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Exact Nanaki, it works for worldwide stocks I think.

Jim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I have to say that Google has done it again! The site displays excellent information in a cool interactive way, while maintaining "Google simplicity".

Fortunately, this site doesn't look like it suffers from Google's "Beta Overload", that typically plagues Gogle product releases...

-Jim

Jim Barr [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Philipp wrote:
"It’s interesting to see how many services are tied together in the new Google Finance. There’s Google News, Google SMS, Google Groups, Google Blog Search, and the Google Account."

It's subtle, but Google Maps is also represented when you drill down into Company information...

-Jim

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

has anyone noticed how the folio tab works ?? very sleek. It took my personal home page and bundled it in finance!!

What sucks is that I cant find RSS feed for Ticker symblol!!

Jeff [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I work on Malaysian stock as well...

http://finance.google.com/finance?cid=669384

I think it is international ....

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Actually Google Reader also uses Flash (for podcasts).

I hate Flash in most cases, but Google uses it in the right way.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Oh, and I believe this Google Finance doesn't work right with Flash 7 (the newest version on Linux). I don't see any labels (text) within Flash.

tech.junkie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Site design is nice and clean, but unless you are using for large comapines it sucks. I have not been able to get a single OB or Pink Sheet stock to pull up. I hope they fix it, but until then i am going to stick with Yahoo.

Jim Barr [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

/pd wrote:
"has anyone noticed how the folio tab works ?? very sleek. It took my personal home page and bundled it in finance!!"

Can you please elaborate on this? What page are you refering to?

Thanks!

-Jim

18 years ago #

Strange, I had the information of US stocks from the Google FAQ:
"Google Finance is an early beta product that offers a broad range of information about North American stocks, mutual funds and public and private companies along with charts, news and fundamental financial data."

Nitin Julka [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

http://hawken.blogspot.com/2006/03/google-finance-those-who-know-me-know.html
Google Finance
Those who know me know that I have been a particularly strong advocate of Google starting their own Finance page. Well, starting today, they finally have released Google Finance. Personally, I think that GMoney would have been a better name, but that is their call.

One of my best friends works at Google, and I sent him the following e-mail outlining my thoughts on the product:

1) There is no link to portfolio from the front page. The portfolio is "hidden" 2-3 clicks deep. This is a bad design feature. The portfolio, on the other hand, is very elegant and easy to use.

2) The area to click on the letter on the flash charts is too small. You must click directly on the letter, when it is intuitive to click anywhere on the box. I repeatedly "miss" on my clicks and I am a pretty experienced computer user ;-) Please ask them to expand the area to click on the box.

3) There is no logic after you click on a news event that is outside of the "shown" news items. It nicely scrolls down so that the event you clicked on is 2nd to last in the news items. Why did the coders decide 2nd to last? Why not the middle? Or why not keep it at the end?

4) I really do not like how when the user moves to a 6 month view, and scrolls back a year or two, the user does not return to today when click on "1D." This should automatically take you to the current day.

5) The date range on the charts is NOT prominent enough.

6) Before the market opens, I really don't want to see a bunch of "N/A"'s. Show me something meaningful or yesterday's or take it out.

7) You mentioned that a grandma should be able to use and understand everything. Why aren't there links to describe what "BETA," "P/E," or "MKT CAP" are? Where do those numbers come from?

8) Under the management section, I honestly cannot believe how much screen realestate GFinance is wasting on the FULL title of the management's team. 85-90% of people only look at management to see how much they get paid. Yahoo! has it right in the front. That is truly the only thing people care about management. At least put it on the popup box.

9) Finance people are going to hate the inability to download the financial information to CSV or XLS.

10) Finance people are going to be confused with seeing Total Revenue and Gross Profit WITHOUT COGS.

** MAJOR BUG ** 11) For GOOG, the cash flow statements are backwards. On all the other financial pages, you show the quarterly info first, but for SCF, you show annual information the first. In addition, for the company financial box, the WRONG NUMBERS are appearing under quarterly. It is displaying the same numbers for quarterly and annual. I double-checked this for CRAI, and the problem is worse. The SAME NUMBERS are being shown for balance sheet and SCF under quarterly and annual. This needs to be fixed immediately! This can cause major problems for people.

----------------------------------------------

Bottom line: I see no advantage to using this product over yahoo finance. I see many disadvantages. No export for stock prices or balance sheet info.

GFinance should have been AT LEAST as good as Y! finance plus more functionality and easier to use. Allow exporting multiple company's balance sheet or stock info. Have links describing what numbers mean. Have links straight from financials to SEC statements. Integrate analyst estimates into a new section. Allow easy ways to compare company financials.

This falls far short of what it could have been. I think it will be ridiculed in the press. Let's wait and see for the rest of the day.

18 years ago #

> 1) There is no link to portfolio from the front page.

Strange, I have the link on the front-page, upper right side (I'm logged in to my Google Account)...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yeah I agree with Phillip.!! I singed in and when I cliked on filio it brought up my stock watch from my personalized pages..

But I am dying to test is this type of feature which helps me track via RSS

heres the rss linky from Yahoo finance (I just used a samle ticker)

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/news/rss/add/*http://finance.yahoo.com/rss/headline?s=SUNW

Does anyone know how to get Google.Finance to dish out the same.. I am have looked but my eyes are failing me :(-

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

has anyone tried the map function.. I played with ticker YHOO and MSFT

YHOO sumbol maps oto Local pretty well.. but try the MSFT map link and this function is totally out of wack – is this part of Planned disruption of the competetion ??

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I created a group for a ticker and this is the msg I got
"Thank you for posting your first message on the Google Finance Discussion
Groups. The post is currently pending review by our moderators to ensure it
complies with our Community Guidelines, which can be found at http://www.google.com/googlefinance/communityguidelines.html
It is our intention to review your initial post within one business day; this
response, however, may change according to volume. Once approved, you'll
receive an email notification and you'll be free to post without further
delays."

and then within seconds I get this.. <Google Finance: Post approved>
"Congratulations on posting your first message on the Google Finance Discussion Groups. We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with our Google Finance community and hope you'll continue to do so in the future. "

So who were the moderators or is it a bot parsing the txt for "bad words" blah blah ?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I notice:

http://www.google.com/search?q=goog

That they have kept the links to all the other sites like Y! finance etc.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yeah, they usually do that for thier onebox results – look at maps for instance.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I spotted another google service they're kinda using:
When you click on the picture of the executive (assuming you don't have greased lightbox on) you get a google images styled result for that picture

Lawrence R [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I wonder how they pull up the pictures for the Executives? I don't think they'd use a 'first result of an image search for their name' approach.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

would be nice if they could explain how stocks worked and how to invest or use their charts and data efficiently for "non-financial" people like me, since i would like to start investing in stocks soon enough.

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I saw this on CNBC this morning. I think it's funny that the day Google Finance is released their stock is down.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

GFinance is like a traffic firehose... Its shows a lot of traffic coming in!!

How can this be ??

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Search for 'google finance' and you will not find anything on google.com. They still have this in their robots.txt:

Disallow: /finance?
Disallow: /finance/

Did they forget something?

Robert [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I would still prefer Yahoo! Finance (The best)...Google Finance still need sometime to catch up...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!