Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Upwarded Source  (View post)

jon [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, March 21, 2006
18 years ago

thanks dude. was looking for something like this.
rock on...

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

that was very nice of you Philipp. Thanks.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp, I still think that you should port the app and use it in this forum. Its a good tool.

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sympathies. Data-mining is much harder than it looks.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Seth , what am I missing ?? Data-mining and forum s/w ?? where is the connection ?

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This phrase: "... so I’ve had a hard time adjusting the ranking algorithms... there just isn’t enough data coming in to test it. ..."

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes. At the moment it's meaningless to fine-tune the ranking, even when I realize this algorithm might not scale. What I'd need is massive real data coming in... because at the moment, with 1 or 2 upwards items get and a dozen submissions per day, pretty much anything is either on the front-page or the discover page – no matter which ranking algo I'd go for...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

oh now I understand... then thats another reason why Philipp needs to intergrates the app into this forum, then it will certainly have enough data /users here for algorithm pen testing..

ok guys come on.. this is an active forum correct and theres plenty of data /info from users and I for one certainly think it will reach critical mass once "upwarded" becomes a defacto std as part of this forum..

correct ?? or someone pls load the gun, somebody else aim and somebody else pull the trigger.. .. yeah I am asking for at least 3 rebutalls on why this idea or portaing upwarded into this forum is bad!!

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Because those are totally different things. I'm interested in this forum's content, but not upwarded's one. My Internet connection is to slow for those movies anyway.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

But they are not totally diffrent things. I am not debating about the Links for movies etc.. rather just posts/urls and upwards button with the same GUI for this forum..

Where for e.g. if your comments above are upwarded, then you score a point and all points toatled become the net totals for a posts / thread ... just like digg..but without the hassle of verifiaction and sign-on.. and yes, we still adhere to the 80% google thing.. thats way this fourm is....

not really sure if I am clearly articulating myself

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If you could upward comments, then wouldn't the flow of conversation get disrupted?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

No Nirjaj, the thread remains the same, comments are always reverse chrono.

I expect that a person's comments can be scored (like upwarded) by others.. for e.g. your comment above, other readers may think its relevant and upward it. That is, I can give you a point for your comment and then another person does the same . Now you will have 2 points. however this thread has about 12 comments and net net points could be only 3/4 .. so this gives us (community) on what (we) think is 'relevant' in terms of "digging" each others comments.. the forum users actully move the strand of conversations into a mode which may (big word!!) , bring out some sort of 'relevenance' in conversations.

Yes, the wisdom of crowds is different to aggreation of opionions. Not sure. if it was steve byord or someone else who postulated the idea.... but I can further pull linkys --- if the idea still holds some merit... :)-

Fez [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Yup, it's hard with only 1-2 posts coming in a day.

No ranking algorithm would work!

Even with 10-20, it's still pretty tough. You need at least 50, 100, or more to get a good enough batch to rank things appropriately.

You've gotta count on half being spam, too =)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!