Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Finance vs Yahoo Finance  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, March 26, 2006
18 years ago

nawww..they (yhoo) lost this battle , when katie defected to the goog camp :)-

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

lol

In all seriousness though, reading what Jeremy wrote is kinda sad. Yahoo Finance was out first, and they had all these ideas for how to improve it, and all of a sudden Google comes out with the features Yahoo was planning to add. Now Yahoo Finance has to play catch-up.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

imho, you snooze, you lose

Jeff [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Yahoo! Finance is better than Google Finance. Can anyone tell me what features that Google finance has that better than Yahoo! finance?

Digital Inspiration [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Jeff, the best feature of Google finance is stock search. If you type Google it automatically redirects you to GOOG while Yahoo says "Symbol not found"

If you are interested, here's a more detailed comparison of Google vs Yahoo finance.

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/03/google-finance-vs-yahoo-finance.html

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The biggest thing that pisses me off about Yahoo! Finance is the very poor stock search. However, even with their cool dynamic graphs, I still prefer the detail and look of the Yahoo! graphs. Also, it seems like you can get to a lot more information from Yahoo!'s page (like graph overlays).

Jim Barks [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Google Finance is a nice aggregation of financial data on one page. However, if you don't want to spend hours reading it, StockRing (http://www.StockRing.com) can analyze Google and Yeahoo Finance information for you and tell you what stocks you need to buy or sell in seconds.

By the way, recently I started to wonder if Google in fact entered a business of wasting its visitors time by duplicating a bunch of data and confusing the users with an overflow of information.

Let's say I enter "IBM" in Google Finance ... I get a page with the following:

20 numbers describing current trading activity such as recent price, gain, volume, etc.

25 numbers describing IBM financials such as revenue, profit, loss, etc.

30 numbers describing IBM competitors current stock prices

40 links to other IBM related information.

Now imagine you have a portfolio of 20 stocks and you do your research on Google Finance. Then Google Finance will provide (20+25+30)*20 = 1,500 numbers describing 20 stock portfolio. Also Google Finance will provide 40*20=800 links related to your 20 stocks. Now if you analyze your portfolio once a week Google Finance will provide for you 1500*52weeks = 78,000 numbers and 800+52weeks = 41,600 links during 1 year that will describe your 20 stocks.

Let me ask you a question ... can you really analyze Google Finance 78,000 numbers and 41,000 links in 1 year for you 20 stock portfolio?

Overflow of info in Google Finance lacks much needed creativity to help people QUICKLY analyze and manage their stocks and mutual fund portfolios.

StockRing will actually analyze Google Finance information for your stocks to quickly tell you what you need to sell or buy right now.

Feitian Du [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The way to lead in the Yahoo finance vs. Google finance is to add leadship features. For example, they can perform a stock price prediction. www.magicta.com is the niche player.

Fred [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I dont understand why people get so excited about anything that Google comes up with. Google Finance it not smart and genius!
Aside from the new graph, which is useles to me, Google Finance provides no feature that would beat Yahoo Finance.

Steve [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

the only good feature is really the stock search. the one from yahoo really sucks and I ever wondered why they are not able to provide me good results when I type in other very usual stuff like "oil price" or "us dollar" etc. etc.

the rest of google finance is nice but does not really offer additional user experience or features. whats the value when I see the stock price go up after specific news came out? you can explain what happend OK, but come on..... when there are good news stocks go normaly go up, when news are bad news stocks go down. seeing what news WAS the reason does not matter in the end. as long as google can not predict how the stock moves in the FUTURE this feature is useless.

its just nice as its using AJAX and you can play around. but thats it..... yahoo! is years above google and they watch closely what google is doing so I would not worry.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!