Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Extreme Browsing...  (View post)

Mike [PersonRank 0]

Monday, April 3, 2006
18 years ago5,549 views

Definitely cluttered, I can't see how you'd be able to find a particular button in that mess...

This guy's done exactly what I try to avoid. I try to give as much space as possible to the web page.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Mike is right – It is cluttered.

But if you read the post to which the picture belongs you see that it was delibrately made over excessive. This is not a browser setup that anyone uses.

Randy Charles Morin [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Aaaaaaaaaaaah! I'm blind. I'm suing.

Jesse [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I can't imagine someone actually uses that. I have about 80% reserved for screen space, and I get quite a bit into that 20% of toolbar

Mark Thomson [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

One word: Memory leak!

Okay thats two, shoot me.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Woah dude.

I feel like I'm using too much space with 5 rows – title bar, menu bar, back/forward address bar (with search), shortcut bar (possibly with Stumbleupon), and tab bar.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The only "tool bar" extension I use is Google. All the other extensions I use either are on the status bar or on the drop-down menus.
I get confused even If I add the Book marks toolbar, there's no way I could use that

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

how long does that train wreck take to load is what i want to know.

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Reminds me of pictures I've seen of the Google cafeteria. That browser is way too cluttered!

Doom Guy [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I bet that browser runs upward of one mile an hour. Looks like its loaded with all the latest in spyware and adware too :)

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

[put at-character here]Brinke Gutherie:

The post is here:

http://splasho.com/blog/2006/02/26/the-superbrowser/

It says it takes 7 second ish to load and 1 second before doing anything whenever a link is clicked.

Randall [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I've always been a fan of using lots of extensions; I think I've had more than 40 on occasion. But still, this browser setup hurts my brain. The secret of using this many extensions is taking out all of the buttons save those you actually use, and have the rest only accessable through options menus and such. Yea, I know this wasn't a serious setup; it's still painful to contemplate.

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

My firefox config is on the other end of the spectrum:

http://www.seweso.com/blog/firefox-lite.jpg

Most [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Wow! When I first got firefox, I had a lot of extensions on, but not that many! I put them on and then over time I took off the ones that I didn't use. It's actually a very efficient way to figure out what works for you.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hehe, it was another profile and I don't use it any more. I've kept 17 of them though.

Andrew January [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Mines even lighter than that Wouter Schut. lol.

http://icr.seascape.uk.net/imagedump/Firefox.png

I use mouse gestures to navigate the page. I still have 2 extensions no web-developer should be without, the validator which sits in the bottom right as an icon and the Web Developer toolbar which can be accessed from Tools. And IE View.
It's great having so much space given over to the actual website.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!