Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Is email Web 1.0?

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, April 6, 2006
18 years ago4,391 views

I just had an interessting though:
Now that Web 2.0 is every where, I am wondering if email is still Web 1.0 and if there will be some Email 2.0 (GMail was some sort of next level, with all the conversation thread, but it still IS email).
Or will the next step be something like IM, but not only contact list based but also "dynamic", where you can locate other users in your area (hing GeoIP) or find users in other parts of the world (like when you go to a vacation in Mexico, you can search some people with same interesst as you do and chat with them).

I know Skype, ICQ and others let you search users like that, but it is just not "Web 2.0-ish"

Has anybody heard of that? Or am I to early with that?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Interesting...

When Email 2.0 finally makes an appearance, will it then get packaged with Web 2.0 services and called Internet 2.0? I suspect not, as by that time 2.0 will be old-hat so it will probably be called Internet 2010 or something (even if we're not yet in the year 2010) or maybe even some random two-letter version code like Internet DB (where DB stands for "Da Bomb" or something equally ridiculous and ambiguous). Or maybe not.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think the next level of web2.0 communcation is based on GeoIP and as Corisn sez "search some people with same interesst as you do and chat with them" is already there.. as face-2-face product line up. They mae demogod05 lineup. The product is called as "jumbo" -Using wireless technology to enhance face-to-face networking.

http://www.jambo.net/blog/

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The jambo part looks nice (and the page is Web 2.0 ;))
But you see, you need software to download.

Can we call it "Communication 2.0" now? Sounds better and more logical.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

in a way --you are correct Corsin.. its the new wave of communication – Speak to only those you want to speak to – its a smarter better way for all and social dynamics..!!

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think email is probably web 1.0. The web 2.0 alternative will be something that works like email when the other person is offline and seamlessly becomes IM when they are online.

For something like this IM needs to be much more open. Which is what is happening I think. Gtalk talking to AIM soon. And aren't YIM and MSN merging?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

But Sam, this is what all of us have fuming about!!

Why does not AIM, YIM and MSN, GTalk all ibe nteroperable ?? This should be a seamless to the users -just like email. The inital IM market was big (read ICQ days) – now its not. People can chat via many methods in real time..

however only "certan" IM Jabber clients help to bridge the gaps in the IM services.. but the catylst would be when I can add you to my Gtalk list even though you have a MSN live id!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think Gmail is incompatible with other emails (like a new version)... because if others do not have the conversations view Gmail offers, you have to talk different ways (e..g. you have to quote without conversations, and you can't just reply to a thread 1 month old and expect the other person to know what you were talking about...)

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well, GMail has GChat... 1.75 "Web 2"?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp: When you reply in a Gmail conversation all the previous messages are quoted by default. To other Gmailers these are then hidden and replaced with "Show Quoted Text". So for your average Hotmail user they see your new message + everything that came before. So I think Gmail is compatible with other emails.

/pd: Yeah I totally agree. Having different networks for IM sucks. The sooner the big companies all start to integrate (and be open) the better. Just imagine if say you different ISPs lets their users onto different webs...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!