Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Blogger's Anti-Spam Tactics  (View post)

Randy [PersonRank 0]

Friday, April 7, 2006
18 years ago4,463 views

I encoutered this last week when setting up a blog for my church. Due to the fact that I was not given access to FTP the blog directly to the server hosting our site, I had to use a blogspot address. But, I wanted to make it appear to the user that they never left the church site. This required changing all relative paths to CSS, images, etc to fully qualified paths. I was publishing quite often and quite quickly trying to get the layout details right when my site got flagged. While it was annoying to have to type in the letters to publish (only new posts, not template changes), I got a response from the Blogger team with in 3 days stating that they had reviewed the site and put it on a Whitelist. Very easy directions to follow.

Todd [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

After spending some time on Google's blog spam list, just today after spending some time emailing customer support, I finally got the issue with my blog, http://blog-traffic.blogspot.com, cleared up with them. Not sure what cause the issue, maybe because I posted a few articles that I liked from Digg?

I guess I'm one of the few false positives.

Bratsche [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

I experienced this "splog hunt" test about four or five months ago. I run a small blog for my school, with just general information and such, and was pretty suprised to see that it had been classified as spam. I think what triggered the test was several lists of links, which is a common splog tactic. The captchas were quite annoying, but similar to Randy, the team reviewed the blog in about five days. I don't think this is that new.

Juan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Spammers are leaving spam comments in blogs even if they have word verification enabled, how can this be?

Sebastian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Related sidebar links seem to trigger a false positive. Those not only get the annoying captchas assigned, after a while (probably a few months) blogger.com disables the publish buttons. Then when they don't receive a review request within 10 days, the blog gets deleted w/o notice.
http://sebastianx.blogspot.com/2006/04/good-to-see-bloggercom-cares-about.html

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Scary stuff for those who are at Blogspot.

Juan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

spammed again
they leave 7 spam comments each time
they must have a way to pass word verification

Ryan Pitylak [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It's amazing how spam will evolve into whatever medium is available to the spammer. This is problem for blocking spam email; you'll see more cell phone spam for example. Putting controls on the spam is the only way to fix the problem, and it seems like Google is smart to start worrying about the blog spam problem now.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!