Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Earth: Looking for Tibet  (View post)

Yawn... [PersonRank 0]

Monday, April 10, 2006
18 years ago6,986 views

Look in the CIA's World Factbook and you'll find Tibet as a province of China as well...
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ch.html

Not too sure what the hang-up about Google maps is. I guess you can say the US Army is occupying the Confederate States of America, the French Army is occupying Gaul, the Czech Army is occupying parts of Austria-Hungary, etc.

Michal Hantl [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibet
I think that no one has right to destroy (or damage) other cultures, neither take over countries by force.

Martin Wang [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

If you dont know it, just dont say it. Just some pieces of information can not help you learn the whole history. Some people with unpredicted intention might write or twist the real history however they want, but it can not change the fact itself. The formation of one country itself is the process of the death and bleeding, occupying and defending, wars and negotiations. Who can say that any part of your country exists there all the time?!
Let's face it or just be nice to be modest. If you really want to give your judgement about Tibet, please read through all the mainstream history books and corresponding stuffs(in English and in Chinese as well) before making any opinion. I believe most of the people who argues if Tibet should be an independent country or a part of China have not enough knowledge of that piece of history. They said something just based on that little poor information from somewhere or on some evil purpose. If you are the first one, my suggestion is "Do NOT judge randomly! It is the most stupid thing ever." and if you are the second one, then please shut your mouth up. You are not helping.
BTW, to Michal Hantl, Do NOT think about which you dont know, Wiki is nice but it is not representative of the truth, and not bible either.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Look, everyone's been reading a whole lot into this, but I guarantee what Google did is copy the world data from some other source, possibly the CIA world factbook, and didn't give it a second thought. They're a bunch of computer nerds, not politicians or historians. And besides, they are based out of the US, and the US seems to consider them a province of China, so blame the US if anything, not Google. If they switch it, they'll make our government mad as well as China.

Just my .02

Bjørn Nielsen [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Critic of the movieclip:
Well, Google's omission of an independent Tibet is like the omission of any other occupied territory. They simply reflects the way the world are seen by the most powerful players in international politics. The story about Taiwan in Google Maps was also about politics, and not about good and evil.
So by drawing lines at maps that are accepted by most countries, doesn't make Google a part of what China have done to the people of Tibet.
One should certainly demonstrate against surpressing of minorities and against that the world are controlled by a few influential countries, but no one rescue the world by criticising Google for reflecting the world politics.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

When I was little, the teacher taught me that Tibet is part of China, and still is...

KenWong [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

TaiWan IS a province of China.

TENLY [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

i think we must trust the truth that tibet is a province of china, and the people there live happily.

Luwian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What's meaning that "It's just occupied by the Chinese army ". If author dont know any history about chinese, please shut up and to ask chinese If you really want to know.

we garrison in there because Tibet is a province of China, likes Washington just occupied by the stateside army.

cner [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Maybe Tibet is not a part of CHINA in some period of history, but it is now.
Just like state of Alaska or Hawaii, they are not a part of USA before ,but it is now.
Thuth is the truth.

Shu Chow [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Ok, you Chinese tools. Here's the difference between Tibet and China and Alaska/Washington/any other state and the U.S.A.:

All fifty states in the United States wanted to join the United States. Tibet, on the other hand, was invaded. Many of its citizens were slaughtered and raped. That, my brainwashed friends, is the difference.

Defend Taiwan and Free Tibet – By any means necessary.

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yikes – you may be getting your THIRD Digg Homepage

http://digg.com/links/VIDEO:_Google_Earth_-_Can_t_Find_Tibet

They REALLY like your Humor threads...expect many comments in a few hours :LOL

cner [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Shu Chow
Ok, you Chinese tools. Here's the difference between Tibet and China and Alaska/Washington/any other state and the U.S.A.:

All fifty states in the United States wanted to join the United States. Tibet, on the other hand, was invaded. Many of its citizens were slaughtered and raped. That, my brainwashed friends, is the difference.

Defend Taiwan and Free Tibet – By any means necessary.
-------------------------------
OMG, who tell you that, your teacher or your father?
What i known is Tibet citizens are very happy for their life now.
True history is many people, include Chinese, West contries army or explorers, and Tibet local governors made lots bloody affair to Tibet citizens in past time.
Ohh, My poor English.
If people like you can't believe it, you should go around Tibet, ask some local citizens about their history.

HYung [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

This gets to the center of the human rights debate concerning China. The CCP, and its supporters, base their legitimacy on human conditions. Nice and practical, but it conflicts with other ideals, such as the right of people to self-determination. As for whether Tibet shoudl have been independent, face it: China never had a historical claim over Tibet. It would be like Italy claming southern France and Germany because the Roman Empire once ruled there. In fact, China's claim is arguably weaker, since at least the Romans' period of rule constituted a significant length of time. In the end, though, Tibet is just one example of human rights abuse, alongside Tiananmen Square, the suppression of the Chinese democracy movement, and many serious abuses worldwide beyond China. In the end, Tibet probably won't get a fair accounting until China itself reforms, by which it will likely be too late. The best thing that I can say about China today is that it tries to imitate a free, robust society. I only wish it would start behaving like one, too.

Piheiro [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

http://www.gerefoundation.org/tibet_tragedy.html

http://www.gerefoundation.org/gere.swf

Martin Wang [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

To Shu Chow,
Did you ever ask the American-Indian if they were/are willing to join the states, or they were forced/killed/raped/slaughtered/tortured/butchered/insulted to give away their lands and become the so-called American citizens/even noncitizens?

To HYung,
It actually has nothing to do with CCP. It is the business of the whole Chinese, not any specific party. Even though it was now Capitalism or any party of other kind, nothing can change the fact that Tibet and Taiwan are parts of China and the willness that Chinese want to reunite. It is not the politics, but the truth of the history!

Dasarp [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Tibet is to China as Kashmir is to India?..no?

arZan [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Dasarp....

(...)

Pakistan invaded Kashmir after Indian Independance. Therefore it is called "Pakistan Occupied Kashmir"

China invaded TIbet. Before that it was a sovereign kingdom.

Chinese also invaded parts of Kashmir, and occupy it.

And in the same way they invaded territory in North East India and occupy it.

The communist despots who rule the nation, get away with shit, and stupid people support them by calling Tibet a province of China

China should get out of all occupied territories, and get its dirty communist paws out of Tibet and Taiwan.

arZan [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Read http://www.wadias.in/site/arzan/blog/archives/2005/11/chairman_mao_ge.html

about the "Great" Despotic Ruler of an equally despotic nation

cner [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Many of Chinese people dont support China government, but they like their country where they borned and lived, and HongKong, Taiwan, Macao, Tibet and so on...are all a part of great China.

If some stupid guys want Califolia indepent from USA, are peoples of US going to show their hospitality?

Tang [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Give CNER my fully support!!!!!

zhou [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

chinese love their govement and country!
Tibet is a part of china ,that's truth ,no doubt

lu liu [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

people need to read about history.

Yuan Shuang [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Ya now Tibet is part of our China.

We admit that we have occupied the Tibet forcefully.

And we know that any super power like US, can't dare to mess with us.
We also admit that Pakistan has forcefully occupied India's kashmir but we'll keep supporting pakistan, as a part of our political strategy.
We have also occupied some part of siachin forcefully.

Do you think india can dare to fight with us? We have always biten them.

We are going t be the next super power.
Any doubt?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think everyone had their say by now...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!