Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Hack Google Analytics?  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, April 11, 2006
18 years ago14,445 views

does this have anything to do with 'poisoning the DNS cache" ?? or just JS urchin tracker only ??

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Can you believe I am the third person the digg this story??(but my comment suck)--On Digg

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Haha I never even thought of this. I stopped checking my site stats regularly after I started getting over 1000 unique visits a day.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think this applies to all of the services like this though doesn't it?

Anything that makes you paste a JavaScript segment into your pages.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sam, not if the stats tool simply checks for a list of valid domains. After all Google Analytics already aks you to define the domain you want to insert the tracking code into, so they could easily validate this...

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes... but do they ever validate it?

I know I have changed my website (my whole domain) recently. And my statcounter code still works fine. (As does GAnalytics of course).

Martin Bialasinski [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The only check Google could use is checking if the referer matches the domain the tracking code is associated with. After all, the tracking is done by the visitor's browser requesting the counter object from Analytics.

And for someone with a malicious intent, it is easy to forge the referer.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Right now Analytics occasionally shows hits to my website through the Google Cache. The Google Cache maintains the javascript, so those hits are recorded as well. There is a domain section to Analytics and you can see what domains users hit (so most of mine are to my domain, but occasionally I see an IP address owned by Google).

noname [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

afaik it it possible to filter results by domain, so if this would happen to someone, he would find it soon.
this error got all such tools, it is impossible to 100% block it.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> this error got all such tools, it is impossible to 100% block it.

Why not simply filter by domains to avoid it?

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think it's to make switching domains easy. I recently switched domains and thought I would have to change my Adsense code, but on the Adsense help it said you could just move the code wherever, whenever.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!