Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Colgate site uses hidden links

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, April 12, 2006
18 years ago2,652 views

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/003637.html

Is this a new SEO tactic: hide links with CSS to appear as normal text?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have seen this method used before., however the go back to the fourm here and see that it dates back to 2004!! Rusty is pointing to an old thread of conversations :(-

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/showthread.php?t=11013

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Pd the thread I see is from April 2006... maybe you looked at the join date of the first poster?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

OK, so basically the Colgate links do show upon click, and they are just not underlined like good links ought to be. There's no clear black-and-white with cases like these but I'd say if in doubt don't judge badly of the site (there's a German and Latin saying for this... in dubio pro reo).

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Mea culpa!! Your correct philipp!!

I have seen this type of linking (not visiable as underline). Jonnyihack also used the same technique for his postings – where a lot of. Secondary linking was not visiable to the naked eye. It only becomes visiable on mouse hovers across the link.

I think that ranking for that site increases as se will find more links. Imho its a self referntial process. Btw how do SE understand that a page is refering to another page under the same uri/site ?? More links mean more juice correct ??

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't see a problem with this. People can read the text. People can click the "hidden" links if they notice they're there. Just because Colgate have opted to not use underlining styles on these links, does it really matter? I don't think so. Is this spam? Not in my book. It's purely a design choice – albeit a design choice that was undoubtedly chosen for SEO reasons.

Many people choose not to underline links on their websites anyway (which I believe is generally bad usability anyway – except in certain circumstances). Instead, they might use bold, different colors, etc. (The difference, of course, is that you would still be able to identify those links...)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!