Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Feedback to Google is Amazing

or [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, April 16, 2006
18 years ago2,570 views

Browsing through this forum I'm amazed at the amount of feedback for Google Calendar and Gmail. With this type of feedback, these products are sure to improve and continue to be best of breed.

It's no secret that google employees watch this blog and forum. So in a way, we are working for google, letting them know how to make their products the best.

What's interesting is that because our expectation of google is high, the feedback is much more than other companies would receive. And generally, at least in Gmail's case, Google add features that are requested – this allows google users to feel a sense of ownership over the direction of the products.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I agree..... totally..... though after taking quite some time to post feedback about Google calendar (http://blogoscoped.com/forum/26664.html) I realized that sometimes, we can be WAY over critical and never express how grateful we are for Google's services. Quite frankly the world would not be what it is right now without them and I for one am very appreciative!

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

or, you are right, it's amazing. Philipp, with all this feedback on your blog, you have a goldmine of information and wishlists that Google just might love. At the moment, it is all unstructured and maybe not very useful to all concerned.

Why don't you think of extracting and structuring all the useful info, wishlists etc., and present Google and your visitors with a "digest"? Maybe you could also poll readers on useful features that they might like to see and assign an order of importance? This could be extended separately to each of Google's products and services.

18 years ago #

Sunil.... that is a great idea...... maybe a wiki would be the best way to accomplish this?

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

Thanks, Travis. Maybe a wiki, but I guess you, Philipp, and other techies on this forum might be the best judges of that.

18 years ago #

Just in case you responded that way because you don't know what a wiki is...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wiki

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"I realized that sometimes, we can be WAY over critical"

Yes, I agree. This is the google effect. In my opinion, Google Calendar is more full featured than Gmail was when it was first released. Yet the complaints over the lack of features in Gcal is much more than the complaints were for Gmail when first released. I think since that time, the expectation for Google's products have risen so high that I believe that it's almost impossible for Google to release a product today that surpasses expectations.

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Easiest way:
A simple list with requests/feedback for every product of Google
Then you can check if an update contains this wish, so no dupes should come up

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Agreed this has become a cool way to give feedback on Google services!
In theory, the Google Groups connected to the various products are also good suggestion places, as well as the feedback emails. In reality though, you'll rarely get feedback writing to the official emails, and the Google Groups are often seeminlgy unmoderated (=spammed).

Now a feature request wiki is an interesting idea, but it might also divert the conversation into too many places to check. Maybe I can "digest" the items that pop up into blog posts over time. I keep thinking about that. Already the forum comments are read by Googlers like Matt Cutts, Kevin Fox (Gmail) or Mihai Parparita (Google Reader), which is really cool. http://blogoscoped.com/forum/posts-by-Mihai+Parparita.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!