Google Blogoscoped

Forum

gmail drive 1.0.1.0

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, April 20, 2006
18 years ago3,534 views

heres come the next hot feature of gmail..!! :)-

"creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder"

screen shot here

http://images.betanews.com/screenshots/1097807577-1.gif

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I really don't think this feature (the upcoming GDrive) should be part of Gmail. Gmail is about communication, not storing personal files. By all means integrate some shared faetures. But it has more to do with Google Desktop than Gmail.
Any news on when GDrive will be out? Microsoft are readying Live Drive. I hope Google get theirs out first.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

this is of 3rd party s/w that is being dleivered.. not offically googles pe sec!!

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes I know. That why I said I was talking about "the upcoming one" :)
Do you agree with what I said, or do you think it (the offical GDrive) should just be a feature of Gmail?

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

dpneal,

It would be nice if google add this feature to gmail officially...:)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I agree with.. it is a nice feature and I am pretty sure that google will officaly adopt it..

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

would be silly to add it to Gmail, has nothing to do with it.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

dp : why would it be silly ?? what are the pros and cons in your opinion ?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

well...

I can't see what advantage of having a remote file server connected to you email account would be. Maybe the only advantage people are thinking about is that of using Gmail's big storage space.

But when Google releases GDrive i'm sure you will get more space than you currently get with Gmail, and also OS shell integration and a web interface(maybe looking similar to Gmail, Greader, Gcal etc..)

The only integration I can see between the GDrive and Gmail I can see is to upload or download attachments from/to Gmail from/to GDrive, in the same way you would do it from you local machine.

What do you think the advantages of adding GDrive to you email account are /pd?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

From what I see of the current Dmail drive it directly holds all your content locally....this means important docs/ pics etc etc are saved within my jurisdiction. .. .(like draft letters and how to pimp myself manuls :)- , this makes it safer(?) for me or rather makes me a better camper, knowing that ;

1) Data is local and can be retrived anytime.
2) No dependence on a 3rd party provider
3) Data / gmail accoutn dependance is seperated.

Lets say, you have a document /image that is a "life saver" – and using gmail you send it the department of justice... and the you suddenly get lockit in sector error (worse account disabled/ deleted). Why would you feel comfortable using gmail as the main storage bin ??

In short: Mail is communication vehicle : Drives are for storage.

and I want the ability to have my drive (local) to be linked into gmail.. which gmail drive does.. anyhoot.. so far so good.. :)-

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

But there is no way the official GDrive is going to be a feature set of GMail. It would confuse users, they won't know what GMail's purpose is; is it an email account, or some sort of document saving place, or what!?

Sorry /pd but I think your confused. The current non-official Gmail Drive doesn't "directly hold all your content locally" it's purpose is to do exactly the opposite (hold some of your content remotely if you so choose).

The only people the non-official Gmail Drive will benefit is the techies who just want a quick place to sort documents/images etc.. It's no good for the average person. Google normally has this in mind, and has a proper focus and context on things.

Basically Google won't make GDrive another feature of GMail, fullstop.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

conceed the verbige ,,, "directly hold all your content locally" to "hold some of your content remotely " :)-

The features that gmail drive offers is a good one... witther it is offically adopted by gmail or not is a moot point. As you say, "only people the non-official Gmail Drive will benefit is the techies " – and thats exactly why we have this type of plugin developed by the techies for the techie's..

Basically , whichever route google takes, they eventually will need to factor in one simple thing...how will they store all the information of the gmails user – locally or remotely to that user ??

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!