Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Search personalisation tool

Abhijit Vyas [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, April 20, 2006
18 years ago2,337 views

Hi guys!
I hv been working on the Google web APis for some time and hv come up with an application that helps you create your own categories and add your favorite/trusted categories to them and then search only those categories.By default search is done on the whole web.You can download it from
http://www.admintasks.com/gabhile/download.htm

The idea came out of my need to search extensively for programming code because of the nature of my job.Sometimes searching web would not quite yield the results i was looking for but with this application (that i call Gabhile) i am able to quickly find out the good results most of the time.

As my needs grew i added more features.I wanted to be able to include and exclude terms from the query string with one click so i added a context menu to the result pane.Also check boxes next to the search results help you to add multiple search results to a favorites text file with the keywords you entered in.But i realised i need a "search favorites" feature since over time favorites run into hundreds if not thousands and become rather difficult to handle and loosing the IE favorites is pretty easy!

Thus i added another feature was really helpful as whenever i resume my hunt for information i would first go to the last tab and search fro previously favorites regarding that topic If they exist Gabhile quickly searches for them.This helps me take a quick glance at the pages already visited.

Also added a feature where by user can enter upto 5 URls and then check the no of back links to each and then even generate a cool chart and copy/paste the chart into their own word/excel/other docs.Some of you might know about Rollyo.This application is Rollyo for Google and has the ability to search sub directories on sites which is a feature of Google's API.This makes the searches even more precise.I am adding more and more features to it on weekly basis.

You need a Google API key to use this application.I Would be glad to get any feedback from you all and to hear that you are benefiting from it.. and if you are not what features need to be added ..

Here is the URL again
http://www.admintasks.com/gabhile

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!