Forum

Birthday Paradox House  (View post)

SteveJ [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, April 25, 2006
18 years ago4,918 views

21 people, and no match!

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

8 and no match....... can anyone explane the math of this to me?

18 years ago #

to answer my own question :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_Paradox

Kevin Fox [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Philipp, you've slightly misstated the nature of the Birthday Puzzle:

"<I>(if 23 people are in a room, chances are above average there’s someone with your birthday)</I>"

Actually, if there are 23 people in a room, chances are above that two of them have the same birthday. The chances are only 1 in 13 that you are one of those two people. As you might expect, you'd need 365/2 people in a room for a 50% chance of having a birthday buddy of your own.

Kevin Fox [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Sorry, I meant '1 in 12' that you are one of those two people.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Thanks Kevin, fixed!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Another probability puzzler many people get intuitively wrong is the Monty Hall problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

Bob Bell [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Actually, Kevin Fox's comment is wrong. Having 183 people in a room still doesn't give you a 50% chance that spmeone in the room has the same birthday as you. Not everyone in the room is going to have different birthdays. Of those 183 people, most likely less than 183 days of the year will be represented, due to overlaps and shared birthdays between those 183 other people.

This easiest way to calculate the odds of someone sharing your specific birthday is to think of the opposite – that is, the chances of no one having the same birthday as you. For one other person in the room, that's (364/365) (i.e., there's only a 1/365 chance of having the same birthday). For two people in the room besides yourself, the chances of neither having the same birthday as your are (364/365)*(364/365). Generally speaking, for n other people in the room, the chances of none of the n sharing the same birthday as yourself are (364/365)^n.

Solving for n where (364/365)^n = .5 gives n = log .5 / log (364/365) = 252.65. So there need to be 253 other people in the room to have a >50% chance of someone there having the same birthday as yourself (i.e., a <50% chance that no one has the same birthday as you).

The "Birthday Paradox", of course, is different because it speaks to *any* two people in the room sharing a birthday. It just goes to show you that statistics aren't always intuitive...

Kevin Fox [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Bob's totally right. My bad.

18 years ago #

"The Birthday Paradox House
Thanks for coming to room 2!
Cool! You and Miek matched birthdays. There were 28 people inside the room at that time.

The probability of this happening was 68.096%.

Your names and birthday will be listed at the live data from all rooms.

This room will be emptied now. You can join it again and invite some friends to the party."

Hoyen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

To be more accurate, at 23 or 24 people there's a slightly more than 50% chance that two will have the same birthday.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!