Google Blogoscoped

Forum

ques 4 the forum !!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 2, 2006
18 years ago2,977 views

Most of my Spam within gmails lands very well into the spam bin. However, there are the odd ones which find thier way directly into the inbox.

I used to delete them without hitting "report spam" button. Now, I am reporting every darn one of them by hitting the report spam button.

Question: What does google actually process , when I activate a report spam ?? does it go into a real time black list ? Secondly, if I accicidently hit report spam on a 'buddy' – how can I reverse this paradigm ??

I just killed multiple (i dunna) broadcast from an RFID tribe. Now I am wondering if this was the right thing to do.. and how can reverse it back to 'non spam' status (at least for me)!!

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't think it takes any real-time action, as I have seen similar spam emails reappear in my inbox in the short term. I think it gets marked as a spam pattern which the system will start recognizing if enough people submit emails like it as spam (that's my guess since there doesn't seem to any immediate change).

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

To unmark a message as spam, go to your spam folder and click "not spam"

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yeah, caleb- that will work. If I try a search term within gmail will it return mails fr the spam bin too ?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ok tested serach term "teenie beauties" – which was surely in my Spam bin.. and results did not display. This means I have to go thru each darn, email in spam bin to ensure that I get back the "Tribe" emails into my sanity bax..!!

this sucks.. when I have apprrox 200/300 in the spam bin on a daily basis!!

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You can do an advanced search and search either only in spam or spearch everything including Spam and Trash

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hey Splasho- dimbo me never thought of that.. expand tthe options.. "Seach ALL"!!1

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I also always flag spam as spam. As it's getting deleted automatically it's no extra effort and we can hope, as Niraj says, that it helps Google to find spam patterns. Gmail spam protection is one of the best I know, though I still have to delete around 100 spam mails per day... it's sort of like brushing teeth, you accept it as part of your day without it necessarily being a lot of *fun*.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I can't live with my spam having that number there! Maybe I'm just a little Obsessive compulsive, but it just seems dirty! I however always have 1 draft which doesn't bother me at all!
Another issue I face, is that once in a blue moon I have important Email fall into my spam bin, so I have to go through and at least glance at every one. When in business, it may be better to take that 5 minutes every day then miss one transaction a year! Like Me Lenssen said... brushing teeth.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Travis, I on the other hand am always quite bothered that my drafts always appear in bold as new messages! It's an annoyance that I've learned to live with though, as the alternative would mean not using drafts :(

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

When I see those spams in my email, I will click click and report spam...I recieve ~100/day... Since April 9, I stop deleting them and see how much I will get for a month, 3358 spams as now.

suresh s [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

/pd u are right? . now for the past 7 days i get spam mails in inbox . prev it was not such a way.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!