Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Information is Piling Up  (View post)

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, May 4, 2006
18 years ago4,191 views

I feel the same inadequacy. What shall we do?

CHD [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The purpose of these data aggregators (voicemail, TiVo, RSS, etc) was to sift through the mounds of useless crap and provide us with streamlined, yet useful information. I seems to have come to the point that we now need new aggregators to sift through the data collected by our old data aggregators in order to slim the already slimmed amount of data down to an amount that can actually be consumed.

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

haha, alrighty then.
Are we lower our Mind Data agregators in the coming years ?

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"I[t] seems to have come to the point that we now need new aggregators to sift through the data collected by our old data aggregators in order to slim the already slimmed amount of data down to an amount that can actually be consumed."

I think its all a scheduling problem. Since we can't read/listen/watch the info at the exact time that it appears, we store it for future consumption. However, we often try and schedule these activites at a time when other things crop up. Thereby pushing the past further and further away until we get out of date info that we have to discard.

If we had a data mining tool to schedule each activity depending on our free/non-active time we could possibly fit all this info in. For example, most people commute to work for perhaps 1/2 an hour to an hour. There is plenty of time within this daily commute to fit in these things provided that #1 we have the correct tool to view/read/listen to the info and #2 that the info fits into the time perfectly.

I think as mobile devices become multi-functional, synchronisation tools will allow us to keep up with all this info.

On the other hand, there is a classical "shoving it into the garage" scenario here. With tangible objects, we often think that they may come in use some day and put it in the garage. Then there comes a day when the garage is full. On that day we become ruthless and throw away all of the stuff that we think is no longer needed. The problem with data is that we can store almost infinite amounts of it on modern storage devices. This often leads to a much greater pile of data than is consumable.

So in general I think that cross referencing our schedules/calendars with data aggregation will lead to a much more streamlined consumption of data in the future.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!