Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Keep Your Gmail Clean  (View post)

Henrique Gusso [PersonRank 2]

Thursday, May 4, 2006
18 years ago5,639 views

People are really starting to fill their accounts? I have my account since 2004 (about 2 weeks after Gmail was first announced) and I am using 263 MB (10%) of my 2720 MB.

I do use my email a lot, but maybe I don't send/recieve as much attachments as these people that are already getting their account filled.

¥€$ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1000 spams = 10 MB

901010 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

holy crap, philip. I can't imagine how much email you're doing a day. I'm only using about 50 megs

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I use mine for business and that is why mine gets filled so quickly. I have attachments that vary from 20K to 9 MB It used to be that I could forward an attachment to different people again and again and it did not seem to count against me. But that is not the case now.

My question is. What happens when I hit 100% does Gmail start bouncing my mail?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

how many use the archieve util ?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't have a problem yet, but I'm also deleting occasionally... I'm at 36% right now. It's definitely not an infinite archive, I think we need around 1 terabyte for that ...?

Travis, yes, I think so... I auto-filled mine up in the early days of Gmail and reached 102%!
Stress test: http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2004_05_06_index.html#108385854271685673
Followup: http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2004_06_21_index.html#108783574037627952

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

/pd: I used to use archive, but it became just an extra step between me and the messages I was looking for. It was nice having the inbox clean, but to me it wasn't worth it.

I think my other annoyance was if I hadn't archived in a while and had multiple pages of messages, there didn't seem to be a way to archive them all at once, only page-by-page.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

heheheh......

is anyone using "Forward a copy of incoming mail to " and then create yourself a pvt group ?? :)-

unlimited storage so far me so far ...<group does have threshold setting yet>

.... yeah thats my small little hack as a backup for gmail :)-

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

With some of the gmail hiccups we've seen, that backup idea is really good. I might create a Yahoo account to serve as my gmail backup :)

Jim Barr [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

I have a spare PC sitting at home connected to my cable modem connection on which I installed Thunderbird configured to automatically download all new messages via POP from my Gmail account twice per day (realistically, I don't need it to download any more often than that.)

The result is a complete offline backup of every new email message that I receive from Gmail. The only downside is that I don't think it pulls in any messages that I SENT. Not a complete solution, but then again, it's not really major issue....

Jim Barr [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

/pd...I know what you mean. I currently have over 500 messages in my Inbox, (out of almost 3400 total) and I keep telling myself to clean it up, but I simply don't listen! Fortunatly, Gmail's Search function is robust enough for me to be able to find just about anything very quickly.

I am now in the habit (usually) of trying to label everything that comes in new, but I still have the old messages...

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

After you go over the limit, you'll still be able to receive mail for a while, you just won't be allowed to send any. I filled mine up about a year ago, on April 1st, when the size kept increasing all day:

http://andrewhitchcock.org/images/gmailfull2051.png

dabomb [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

i get about 50 valid emails a day, rest spam, i signed up early 05, im at 30% with not many attachments

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

3400 spams + 15,400 e-mails = 1250MB

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have a lot of attachments which bulk me up to 21%. Cleaning up wouldn't be too hard if I needed too just simply find those attachments. Although I have been sitting at 20% for a while as the storage has grown with my inbox. Yet the rate of growth is definately slowing (David Hetfield) so this obviously will rise further in the near future.

I keep a back up of all mail at 30gigs.com.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have an backup account that I forward all my mails to that account so I can delete the mails on my primary account.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

/pd I'm a heavy user of archive, it helps keep my inbox clean. I only want current issues in my inbox. I also use the stars for attention needing issues.

It is like keeping your desktop clean... It may be a little extra work, but is handy in the long run

Thanks Philipp and Andrew for the answers

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

/pd I archive everything except for duplicates and very sensitive mails (which shouldn't have been sent to me in the first place). I also use Google Talk exclusively therefore i am beginning to use the search functionality more-and-more. And *that* is what gmail is all about.

bartheq [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I'd go with "filename:mpg" and other extensions like avi, wmv, mp3, ppt cause has:attachment returns too many results

l "hit the ceiling" three times since june 2004 (twice with 1gb quota). my last cleanup resulted in over 700mb free space by simply forwarding BIG attachments to my backup account and deleting them from the main account. since then my policy for big files is: immediately forward it to backup /and other people if needed/ and move to trash.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!