Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Never go to Google Reader Again

or [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, May 4, 2006
18 years ago6,064 views

The Google Reader team has just released a very nice Google Reader Module for the personalized home page. It allows you to read the full feed from the home page in a pop up bubble, and it has all the main features of Google Reader. Now, I can get rid of all the other feed modules on my home page.

Go to http://googlereader.blogspot.com for the announcement.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is a great module. I know it's taken it's time to be done, but it's been well made. Now we need something similar(but smaller) to replace 'web clips' in gmail.

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Uhh, the ig is now a third as big as before :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

waaaaaaaaaa... this is so so sweet!!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

wait ....has anyone tested the reader for video feeds ? how does it work ?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i don't think it works for video or audio feeds on the homepage

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

hopefully, we'll get an official google calendar module soon too

Mihai Parparita [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Support for video feeds inside the module is not there, but should be soon.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Thats so kewl Mihai ..Kudos to you and team!!

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yea, the video and audio clips don't seem to play like in Google Reader. Personally, I hardly play the videos in google reader, so I won't miss that on the home page. But if you have alot of video feeds, then you probably just stick with the main Google Reader.

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Oh, video feeds are coming too. Wow.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hey Dpneal : I am using this on my hompy for a calendar function

http://russelldad.googlepages.com/googlecalendarhomepagemodule

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

any idea what ever happened to this linky at the bottom of the home pages

"view this page on on your mobile phone."

http://mobile.google.com/personalized/promo.html

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Great module?????
I don't think like you : personally, I have more than one hundred feeds in my Google Reader. Each time I open a window / tab with Google reader, it's for read at least 20 posts (near 180 after sleep). So I don't open Google reader every minute, I need pauses :)
SO, I don't want to have to read all the posts in Google Reader each time I open my browser...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

TOM > I'm at my homepage quite often during the day. So it is actually quite useful for me. I pick up the odd item here and there. I will be using reader too when I have a lot of posts to catch up on, as you say.

/PD > The one I use at the moment is very good, and the URL you supplied even recommends it.. http://www.r2unit.com/gmodule/ it's very good, and loads quickly.

I hope with the addition of Video and Audio support (although it will be good to see) there won't be too much code, so the homepage won't have mountains of code to process before it loads.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is the big thing for Google Reader in my opinion. It is a cool way that Google is using the homepage to fuse (I think it was initially called "Fusion") its products to make something that is as a whole much more desirable that the competition.

I hate the shading on the arrows but apart from that this module is great. I used to have half my homepage covered in RSS feeds from blogs, then I used the label share thing to have it all in one module, and now it is truly perfect.

Shame about the audio/video. But that will be good when it comes.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This reminds me actually. Isn't it about time that they made the Gmail module a bit more functional. Yeah cool I can see my emails. How about reading THEM in bubbles? How about being able the archive them?

This would all have to be done super neatly to work well. But once this is done, and the calendar has an Official module the Google homepage will be fantastic.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I was just thinking the same thing about the Gmail module Sam. It definately needs updating.

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

google reader not working on mobile/pocket pc...

me [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

hey pd you check the update to the calendar module?
it has a shit ton of features

http://googlemodules.com/module/570/

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I Quit reader months ago, because I was on different computers all the time, and I had to mark each message read on each computer.... about drove me batty.... does this new module have this problem?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Travis, as far as i know reader has never had this problem. Since when you view the item, a request is sent back to the server to mark the item as read. This means that where ever you use reader the state will be the same as when you last viewed it. (and no, this new module doesn't have this problem either)

Brad [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Very good idea. Reader's still fairly unusable in my opinion (not to mention very slow), but this made me actually go and set it up so I could use it for this.

One thing though: am I blind or is there no "mark all as read" button? I have to click on every single title in my feed to mark them as read? Sick.

Brandon Byers [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I like that this might make my ig page, which's already 5 screens long, smaller and better-organized. Like Brad, I might just go and set it up just so that my ig page will be more manageable ... and I agree about the need for a mark-all-as-read feature.

But video/audio feeds? Does this mean that the video / audio would play straight from the ig page, or from Google Reader itself?

Brad [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Also so far my Google Reader modules haven't updated with any new items and it's been a whole bunch of hours. New items are coming in on the same feeds in Bloglines...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Brandon Byers> Video/Audio already plays in Google Reader, it's just the ability to play Video/Audio in the Google Reader module that we're waiting for.

Brad> I haven't had any problems with new items being fetched inot the Reader module. So may just be you. Sorry.

Brad [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Actually it turns out it was that I had the "auto" sort mode on. I switched it to "date" and slowly marked everything as read and now things are showing up.

john [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

has anyone encountered a problem with RSS feeds on a personalized Google homepage? I have about 20 RSS feeds on my personalized home page, and for the past two days, they haven't been working. I simply get a "Loading..." message under every headline. Only two feeds are working for some reason...

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

John: better stay with this in one thread: http://blogoscoped.com/forum/41532.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!