Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Interesting Google Searches

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, May 7, 2006
18 years ago2,345 views

Can you write a list of the most interesting Google queries (or queries that produce unusual results)?

I'll start:
miserable failure
the answer to life the universe and everything

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

hey Alex, try "miserables+ failure " – note the white space after the "+" ..

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Do "I'm Feeling Lucky"'s count too?

There is "french military victories" and "weapons of mass destruction".

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't want to waste the time to figure it out, but I would like to know why is the answer to life the universe and everything = 42 on Google. So if you already know, or if you are willing to waste the time, please share.

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is a reference to the book, The HitchHikers Guide To The Galaxy

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It is a tribute to Douglas Adams's Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. If you read the books in them the answer to life the universe and everything is found to be 42. They then proceed to try and find out what the ultimate question is. It turns out that it is "What is six multiplied by nine?". Obviously 6 x 9 =/= 42, but this is the point of the book. The universe doesn't work out.

Interestingly it has been noticed that in a number system of base 13, 6 x 9 *is* 42. Since 4(13) + 2 = 54. Adams was told about this, to which he said he was totally unaware – he said "Not even I am sad enough to make jokes in base 13" (or something like that).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!