Google Light House

Ss [PersonRank 1]

Monday, May 8, 2006
18 years ago3,487 views

Do anybody know abt this secret project by Google

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This ?
http://squash.wordpress.com/2006/03/10/google-lighthouse-centre-of-the-online-universe/

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

sound cool...
by the way..
Google is about to release its OS.. before microsoft(with Vista)

maybe Gdrive and this light house thing will be available in GooOS..

and someone knows what GDS means?!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

IMO, the "Google OS" is a real hoax. All google services are "search-centric" (Gmail for search and file mails, Desktop for documents, Earth & Maps for maps and business, Picasa for pictures, and so and so forth...), a Google OS will be very useless in this point of view ;-)

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I agree. I think Google OS is a hoax. I like the idea of the article above, but I doubt we will see it soon, if at all. I remember reading somewhere that MS is likely to release it's Microsoft Windows Live Drive long before Google release their GDrive.

On another point, if Google have internally called the GDrive, 'GDrive', then I doubt that the entry 'UDS' that has been found in the robots.txt will be a version of this.

18 years ago #

unlike you all, i dont think GooOS is a hoax at all!
i think that just because MS copies everthing that Google does such as: windows live local,
windows live mail,
windows live adcenter,
windows live expo,
windows live shopping.. and MUCH more..
GooOS should release their OS!! just before MS releases theirs..

what do you think?!

and by the way..
Google doesnt use XP.. they have a linux based OS that Google has made by itself.
So what they need to do now..is just open it to the public and thats it..

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Google OS is not a s/w package.. its an infrastructre assest that google allows you to use. Thats the Web/OS of Google. We are all all ready in their kernal , if we use any of the services like gmail/analytics/blogger etc etc..

The web is the OS!!

18 years ago #

right..
but wouldnt youd like to use a Google OS?!
leave MS alone with its security breakdowns and "move" to a safer location?!
no IE added.. no SP2.. no security updates.. no Microsoft Corporation..
No Nothing!!
just Google

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

No actually, I still like my MS Office on my Laptop :)- there are certain things I dont trust with 3rd party content providers .. or I am not comfortable with the TOS..!!

Jay [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

a Google OS, sounds appealing...however, if it is real Google should release it before Vista.....

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Google do not need to make an OS. At the VERY most a browser would serve as a platform for all their services and tools, but even this isn't needed. As /pd says – the OS is the web.

Bringing out an OS would be a heck of a lot of work, and it would do very little towards Google's aim. Imagine they release it. They need to get it into computer manufacturer's systems in order for users to be able to buy it (unless you are telling me they are going to sell the computers too...). The uptake would be slow. No one would know what the demand would be.

Typing a few words into a website for search results is not much of a commitment. Using Gmail is more of a commitment but still nothing much. You are expecting people to adopt a Google operating system? Google may make it free, which might aid things. And compatible with all hardware already in use, which would also speed things up. Then they only have the one issue that nothing runs on the OS since it is brand new. Obviously they would have their own products all ready for it, but everything else wouldn't be. Microsoft Office is the killer application here... who is going to switch away to some crummy online Writely (which they could use on windows anyway).

Maybe to avaoid this they would make all programs compatible with windows compatible with their OS. And guess what? Since it works on the same hardware, and it can run the same programs the OS would have to pretty much BE windows.

Right so it seems a Google OS is a) Too much work b) Not necessary c) Not practical.

Tomorrow. at about noon in Google Hq they will probably release their OS. Just to spite me...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!