Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Searching for sites, not pages

milivella [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 8, 2006
18 years ago3,878 views

Maybe I do a wrong use of Google, but, if I want to know a new electronic musician, I search for ' "Aphex Twin" Autechre', so I'll find sites about the kind of electronic music I search.

But, if this is a correct use, I feel that Google giving only the *pages* in which there are both the expression "Aphex Twin" and the word 'Autechre' is in some way arbitrary. Why not to give the option to answer with the *sites* that contain, in different pages, the query?

(I know that sometime Google gives a page in which there is one of the words you searched for, while the other is only in pages that link to that one, but this a different case.)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hmmm... you want only the domain, like something.com, but exclude pages, like something.com/archive/index.html right?

18 years ago #

Yes!

A more refined possibility would be Google answering with the lower directory that contains all the search terms. An example: if "Aphex Twin" is in something.com/archive/emusic/aphex/index.html and 'Autechre' in something.com/archive/emusic/autechre/index.html, Google should answer: 'something.come/archive/emusic/'. But a subdomain is not always a valid link...

Jay [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

if Google were to consider your possibility, it would be helpful if they made it a search option.. :)

18 years ago #

Does this Google query work?

something -inurl:html

18 years ago #

Philip, the idea of excluding html (htm, asp and so on) is clever, but Google keeps searching for pages... Example:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22aphex+twin%22+autechre+-inurl%3Ahtml+-inurl%3Ahtm+-inurl%3Aasp+-inurl%3Apdf+-inurl%3Axls+-inurl%3Ajhtml+-inurl%3Axls+-inurl%3Atxt

I think that the option to search for enitre domains (or subdomains), and not single pages, should be interesting for two reasons:

1. If the query has zero or few results, this way you can widen the number of results.

2. Let's assume that I know two pretty Google-related services, Simply Google and Babelplex, and that I want to know sites about this kind of things. Google Blogoscoped is the best, in fact Philip posted about both Simply Google and Babelplex. But, if I search for these two queries:
http://www.google.it/search?q=%22simply+google%22+babelplex
I don't find Google Blogoscoped, 'cause it covered the two services in two different pages!

18 years ago #

You can search for "google" in Google Blog Search, and it will at least suggest 1 blog to you... albeit only the official Google blog...
http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Google&btnG=Search+Blogs

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!