Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Using Gmail for Work  (View post)

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 9, 2006
18 years ago5,199 views

I currently use gmail for work. I forward everything to gmail because our local e-mail application needs 3 minutes to start. And gmail gives me more control :P

Jim Barr [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

I am a huge Gmail advocate, and I recommend it to just about everyone, It's the first Web mail service to REALLY shine for me.

That said, just remember that Gmail is a free service with no guarantees of delivery, receipt, or stability. Though GMail has an excellent track record, there have been instances where some site block it, so just be aware that business correspondence may not always get through to every intenden recipient. These cases may certainly be small in number and the exception to the rule, but I would hate to see someone blindly choose Gmail and unnecessarily get stung.

-Jim

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I forward just about all my email accounts to gmail. And then what happens is.. i don't hardly check my email accounts. I just use gmail. :-)

DSK espaƱa [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Gmail is about 1.000.000 times better than Mocososfts outloock.
Sending, receiving, searching, and others that Outlook does not have like labels etc... works infinite times better with Gmail than wit shittyOutlook.

Hasta luego,
DSK

j p [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Interesting, as just yesterday I helped migrate a bunch of short-term employees from our Exchange server for email to Gmail. Now, most of this is due to the inadequacy of our email admin in being able to add accounts(!), but still, it really helps because these part-time employees with flexible work schedules can "check-in" easily from anywhere.

Ben Tsai [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I tried using gmail as my work email for about a month. The showstopper for me was that I couldn't send or receive .zip's with executables inside. It was too much to ask my clients to rename files or use some other service to send files. I'm surprised this limitation was not mentioned.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ben,
   I have the same issue... I rename to zi_ and explain to them that they need to save as zip, and that I had to do this to get past the servers security protocols. Most people are happy with this. If I am too embarrassed to say this to someone (may look unprofessional) I just pop the file on my web server (or S3) and link them to it there

jean [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I use gmail primarily nowadays but one thing I noticed, I wonder where the heck those spammers get my gmail account because in the spam folder, there hundreds of those messages. Do they send at random? Or were they harvested somewhere? For sure I did not post my gmail account anywhere.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!