Google Blogoscoped

Forum

SiteAdvisor Extension for Google  (View post)

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 9, 2006
18 years ago4,780 views

thats old news.. :)
i use Siteadvisor since last year.. and its very good!

you should d/l it!

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

this post was a comment to this post:

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-05-09-n77.html

Dint [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

I used it a while ago, not for long tho.
I thought it was quite useless, so it only bothered me.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp, why do you use JPEG to the screenshots and drawings? PNG would be much better...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You're right, Ludwik. Or at least GIF.

I don't understand why Blogger, for example, resizes any image in JPEG format. It looks good for photos, but not for screenshots. PNGs are smaller and look much better most of the time.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The title should be "for Firefox"

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

PNG reduced to 256 colors is indeed better for many screenshots. I will try to keep that in mind next time. In my experience GIF file sizes are too big for anything but plain text/ logos... GIF often adds another 10 K at 256 colors (and at 16 colors, is too lossy). I guess I sort of gave up on PNG due to IE6's lack of support for varied opacity... but I shouldn't have :)

Andrew Calvo [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

There is no mention of SiteAdvisor recently being purchased by McAfee.. Just wait a few months and I'm sure they'll charge through the roof for this service.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

With PNG and GIF you have to carefully choose the number of colours. Usually about 50 is ok, but that depends.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yeah, I noticed this feature related to Google results immediately after installing the extension in March.
It would be interesting to know is that feature implemented with BHO technics in MSIE version of SiteAdvisor?

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yay! My website is STD free.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"This article uses data from SiteAdvisor, a company to which I serve as an advisor."

Via (ben] http://www.benedelman.org/news/051206-1.html

FYI : Ben has PhD on Economics from Harvard and speciliizes in Search industry trends!!

Adam [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

SiteAdvisor is a great little tool. Thanks!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!