Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Missing Results on Yahoo.it  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, May 10, 2006
18 years ago4,246 views

Not true.

Risultati 1 – 10 di circa 70.800.000 per f*ck. La ricerca è stata effettuata in 0,10 secondi.

18 years ago #

Yahoo Search just goes to Directory Search and that's why there are no results or very few results.

shit -> 1 result
preteen -> no result

18 years ago #

If you search for [f*ck] you'll see a message:
"Avviso: il risultato di questa ricerca potrebbe presentare dei contenuti contrari al comune senso del pudore e destinati esclusivamente ad un pubblico adulto e maggiorenne. Yahoo! Search non ha nessun rapporto con i siti visualizzati e non è pertanto responsabile del materiale in essi contenuto.."

P.S.: Philipp also censors our messages. You can't write Fuck

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You're right, "f*ck" works, I copied that from InsideGoogle but the rest of the terms don't work.

As for the other queries, the fact that Yahoo forces you to their directory search and then displays 0 or 1 results instead of millions – without you having the chance to click on web (try it, it won't work) – is clearly either a filter or a bug, but not a feature. The same thing happened on Google.cn for censored searches at times – you'd be automatically redirected to "search for Chinese web pages only" even though you had clicked "all the web" (and then you can't click back on "all the web").

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You can now write that word here :)
I actually removed the adult words blocker a while ago, but the f-word was still in the spam filter. And yes, I do have a spam filter here... or else, you could say good-bye to the forum :)

Casim [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/showthread.php?t=11502

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Followup up from there, it's generally case-sensitive
[shit] has the odd behavior
[Shit]
[sHit]
[shiT]
do not

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I wrote up a quick investigation:

Yahoo Italy Keyword Search Problem – Censorship Or Bug?

http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/archives/001010.html

I think it's a bug with some wordlist.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!