Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Forum RSS

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 15, 2006
18 years ago3,095 views

Does anybody know if there is a RSS feed for this Forum?? There is one for the main page, but I couldn't seem to find one for the comments forum.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Kirby, try this: http://blogoscoped.com/forum/rss.xml

The RSS link is below the comments box – just beneath the "Submit reply" button – but I agree that it's far too easy to miss it...

18 years ago #

BTW, if I ever want a feed for any site / forum / blog, I tend to always try the following:

www.example.com/feed.xml
www.example.com/atom.xml
www.example.com/rss.xml

(Obviously using subdirectories where it's a blog / forum / whatever.)

If that doesn't work, then I start really searching the site for the link! ;-)

Actually, that's how I actually found the feed for this forum – last year I think it was. I then noticed the link much later!

18 years ago #

Wow!! I never even saw it!! Thanks a heap, Tony!! I'm gonna love this...... :)

18 years ago #

I actually stopped reading the forum RSS in Google Reader because the comments often didn't make much sense out of context. They appear in the feed in date order so they're a little disjointed. I think this forum gets loads more comments now than it did back then too, so I prefer to just browse the forum and try to remember which I read last.

(At first I thought that a feed for each thread would be more useful – but the comments would still drop into your feed reader as each one got posted, so that wouldn't really help...)

18 years ago #

i see what you mean already, tony...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> If that doesn't work, then I start really searching the site for the link!

In compiling lots of RSS feeds for http://FortyFaces.com , I realized after a while that checking the HTML source is much faster (on average) than searching the blog for the RSS feed. There are too many ways to integrate and style the icon, and too many wordings for the link text. However in the HTML usually the RSS feed is linked in the first couple of lines... very easy.

With IE7 it's even easier... a click on the RSS icon will open a context menu, clicking on it will direct you to the RSS feed (and its URL). Might be a nice Firefox feature, instead of directly adding a bookmark.

18 years ago #

Philipp – I've checked that too in the past but usually forget. Besides, I've found that many sites often forget to add the alternate link in their header anyway. Blogs generated by templates tend to always have it there though...

:-)

18 years ago #

>With IE7 it's even easier... a click on the RSS icon will open a context menu, >clicking on it will direct you to the RSS feed (and its URL). Might be a nice >Firefox feature, instead of directly adding a bookmark.

btw, philipp, IE 7.0 doesn't recognize the Forum RSS Feed, which is why I posted here. It detects the main page feed, but not the forum feed. Must be a problem with your code. :P

Surely it couldn't be a problem with IE 7.0. <grin>

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Interestingly the new Firefox Alpha (FF2 alpha 2) is supposed to have improved RSS features. I have just tried it with this forum and it misses the Forum RSS opting for the blog RSS instead.

However once you have located the feed in FFa2 you are just a click from subscribing in Live Bookmarks / ig / Google Reader / Any other site you have configured, which is pretty nice.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yes, firefox 2.0a2 shows a little preview page with the feed url then lets you subscribe w/ your chosen reader. you can also set it to go automatically to the feed reader instead of showing the stylized preview page.

18 years ago #

<I have just tried it with this forum and it misses the Forum RSS opting for the blog RSS instead.

exactly what IE 7.0 does. I checked philipps code out and this is what it's set to currently...

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS" h ref="/rss.xml" />

but shouldn't it be this instead???

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS" h ref="forum/rss.xml" />

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Kirby: I guess it depends on what Philipp wants people subscribing to.

{ on the subject of 2.0a2: this in line spell check is pretty neat! }

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I added a <link...> to the forum RSS on the forum... it should definitely be here :)

18 years ago #

sweet, philipp. Works now!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!