Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Page Creator Gadgets  (View post)

Utills [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 15, 2006
18 years ago4,268 views

Does anyone get the Geocities version 2.0 feeling here?

If we examine for a second the strategy of google and microsoft's upcoming solutions you can easy tell the difference between the focus of the two companies. Microsoft as always are focusing on small businesses where they want a much more professional outlook on their product. Google on the other hand seem to be offering it as an answer to the problem of making web publishing/designing as easy as point and click for non-pros.

Personally I think that Microsoft's stategy is likely to be much more successful than Google's, as Google will probably see serious web publishers keeping themselves away from GooglePages both due to the lack of professionalism and the fact that they are not able to supply their own domain name.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I actually got this from your forum. Just a note.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> I actually got this from your forum. Just a note.

Whooops. I thought I had read through all forum posts this noon but I actually missed 5. Credit fixed.

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

blinking animated marquee gadgets – cant wait :)

Jim Barr [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Utils,

But isn't the point of GooglePages to provide easy Web page creation to the masses? Serious Web publishers will definitely use other professional quality tools. But those tools are far from Google's intended audience here: Grandma and her vacation pictures. Yes, in a way it is Geocities all over again, but it also puts potentially sucessful Google product in the hands of novices--a large demographic that represents possible revenue.

As far as domains go, wasn't there mention of a possible domain hosting capability hinted at in conjunction with GooglePages? Gmail already has their Gmail for Domains service in beta, so a GooglePages version shouldn't be too far out. This would let users willing to use the GooglePages tools with their own domain. Hmmm. Will this be a free service or not? One thing I love about GooglePages is that it does NOT have any advertizing ala Geocities.

Captain Kangaroo [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

I think that Google should implement a tool that allows you to drag between how much space you can use for Pages and Gmail. That would mean that you could have up to 2.7 gigabytes for Google Pages. That would be awsome! Also, I think that the Gadgets are kind of a silly thing to put in. I put the stickies in, but it doesn't even save your message. I have a question too. If you do a search for site:googlepages.com in Google, my site shows up first. What does that mean? Do I have good Page Rank or something?
Mike

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't really know how the "site" operator ranks... good question.

Alexander Abboud [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I love GooglePages and I thhink it works great. The gadgets are fun to use, and now I can finally access Pacman easily, ad it is on my own website! I do not use it for serious purposes, and I make a small amount of money (1.89$) off it. It is easy to use, loads quickly and has a great linking system. One of my friends did a search for a type of cancer caused by exposure to some material randomly, clicked one of the ads and I got 81 cents. One of my new aims in life is to get a cheque from Google
Its not a bad site, and you can visit it at

http://alexander.abboud.googlepages.com

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!