Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Notebook Release

OREO [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 16, 2006
18 years ago6,502 views

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=notebook&passive=true&nui=1&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fnotebook%2Fdownload

Exciting!! I'm checking it out!

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is amazing! I am speechless... so many amazing feautures... and the product works smoothly and well so far! I love it as much as I loved Gmail when I saw it for the first time. I'm sure it will be packed with visitors tonight and tomorrow! Yay for a great release!

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

wow
awesome
thanks for the notice!

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

They really need to integrate this into Gmail. I can see it as the perfect replacement for how most people currently note down their ideas in the draft email box.

Unfortunately I can't seem to test it fully since I am at uni and it doesn't support Firefox 1.0.x fully. It asks for an extension to be installed for both Internet Explorer and Firefox which I believe allows you to insert clippings from any webpage to a notepad. This is excellent for bloggers/journalists/researchers who often come across many quotes that they want to use in their piece but have to bookmark the site or note it down and then at a later date recompile everything by hand.

A few problems I have found :

- They have moved the help link right to the bottom of the page. This is in contrast to Gmail where it is available at the top and is sight at all times. It could easily be missed once a person has a few entries in their notebook.
- If you select the Font Type or the Text Size button it is not possible to click away onto something else. I tried to click somewhere else and it still showed the menu but without a context.
- The text area is editable by a double click but the header field isn't

Overall it seems like a time-saver and will probably become indispensible. However, without the extension the power is severly limited to a glorified ToDo list.

Perhaps Philipp will start off the "Feature Train" thread once he has posted his review so Google can receive some excellent feedback.

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Looks like a good start and could be an MS OneNote competitor if they integrate it with Gmail and Writely.

What I'm missing is the ability to drag the selected text into the notebook icon and automatically have it added.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is a great product. Really useful.
Like Utills, I think and extension of this should be made into Gmail. A link on the left(like inbox, sent mail etc) that opens a version of the notebook interface within Gmail. You would then be able to send notebooks/notes to your Gmail contacts.

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I would go further and add the ability to attach notes into emails and calendar events. If for example I have an important meeting it is not enough just to write the general location in the event window Google Calendar presents. The ability to have a link that describes the note that I may have prepared in Google Notebook would give me the ability to insert all related material to that event such as the exact location with directions and photos into a separate notebook entry but linkable to the exact event.

That way when the time comes to go to the meeting the print function for the event could enable a user to print off all related details e.g. emails related to that event and notes related to that event.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I like that Utills! You should email that to the Google Notebook team. Loads more quality integration is what the Google services need. Like the ability to have a google maps for the address of your contact in Gmail. Just small things like this would be great.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I just tried this in Firefox. Wow, I think this will be much more useful than I initially thought. Now whenever I want to save a quote or link, I can just use this! Well, I think I'll mainly use it for quotes and facts, but it is still pretty neat (and the navigation is fairly intuitive).

My biggest complaint is that I have to load up FF. Too bad there is no Safari version. I'll probably run into more problems/complaints as I use it, but for now, it seems to work pretty well. It is fast too (better than many of their recent releases).

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I am behind Websense Enterprise, I seems I can't install the FF extension, I hace allowed tools.google.com and google.com, nothing seems to do it.

Can anyone post the URL of the .xpi .

Thx.

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

http://dl.google.com/firefox/google-notebook.xpi

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

<< They really need to integrate this into Gmail. I can see it as the perfect replacement for how most people currently note down their ideas in the draft email box.

<< Like Utills, I think an extension like this should be made for Gmail.

Really? That means you've never tried Google Toolbar 4 (IE-only for now). It has a "Send to Gmail" options that does the same thing as Notebook.

http://toolbar.google.com/T4

18 years ago #

Thanks Pau,

How lovely....Google Notebook will be HUUGE!! It will add an extra layer on top of the internet.

We already know that Google archives the whole the Internet on their servers, so the unlimited storage of the GN isn't really a big deal. It's like sharing the same bits on the Google servers (without talking about redundancy). I doubt Google actually replicates twice a page "clipped" by many GN users.

I don't know if I am gettiing my point across...

Anyone has an opinion on that?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

<< Google Notebook will be HUUGE!! It will add an extra layer on top of the internet.

Have you tried Clipmarks (http://clipmarks.com) ? It's very similar to Notebook and it also has tags and comments. So the idea isn't new and it's not the best implementation.

18 years ago #

<< It's very similar to Notebook and it also has tags and comments >>

Yes,

But Google scales, is faster than clipmarks, and is so infuencial... that's a big difference to me

Beside there is the ability to search Notebook (Think quality search), and you have the ability to "Note this" from a Google search.

To my view this is beyond the vision of del.ici.ous or clipmarks or any other player on the bookmarking/online storage business.

PS: Searching public notebooks is NOT yet available as they must wait to have a large base enough to search.

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ionut, I have used clipmarks, but the problem is I will not be going to their site just for notes and clippping. I, and most users also, would want a more central place that is already part of their browsing routine and habits. Clippings is more of a feature, and should not be a stand alone service.

So Google Notebook will have much more use, and makes more sense than clipmarks.com, even if clipmarks has a few more features. Btw, Google Notebook has a built in tagging-like system since you can create multiple notebooks each with its own unique name.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ionut, I've seen the Google toolbar feature. But saving a note as a draft email isn't the proper way of doing it, you want to save a note in a, well to state the obvious, a notepad. Yes it works using a draft email, but i'd rather have proper features for making notes.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Perhaps Philipp will start off the "Feature Train" thread
> once he has posted his review so Google can
> receive some excellent feedback.

Good idea.

I've posted the news now...

18 years ago #

Phillip,

Fix blogoscoped's description:

http://www.google.com/notebook/public/06013169664551589693/BDR03SwoQoKqb57Mh

BTW, you can drag and drop note from one notebook to another, isn't that great!

18 years ago #

Can anyone try to note their "Google Trends" in the Search History ?

I am getting:

"Error in creating note."

18 years ago #

Got a second bug:

"Error in loading user data"

anyone experiencing such errors ??

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'll start off the list of features I would like added :

- The ability to share the notebook with selected people who can view/edit the content. A sharing system that allows individual rights to be given to a person via email address would help to solve this. To maintain concurrency it may be a good idea to only allow one writer at a time with others only able to read.

- To attach the note to an email (as html) or to a calendar entry (as private info).

Cat [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I have been getting:

"Error in creating note."

for weeks

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!