Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Notebook Is Live  (View post)

didaio [PersonRank 2]

Tuesday, May 16, 2006
18 years ago9,562 views

I don't know for why I need this service .... May be for wish lists and travel planning only...
Google Notebook service as like Kaboodle (http://www.kaboodle.com)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sounds like it will be great for research – collecting snippets and links from all over the place.

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

elias KAI notebook goes live, hehe like it
http://www.google.com/notebook/public/12895594754540044876/BDSVkSwoQzo6N6LMh

j p [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Just from the quick look I have had, it looks as if you could use it as a person wiki. I run Wikimedia on my local computer to use as a note taking platform, but there is no reason why this could probably not be used in a similar way for a lot of people.

Sean Brady [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I like the looks of the service. I was wondering if it was going to be a del.icio.us killer, and I see now that it is really looking at the Onfolio/Kaboodle space. Lots of questions about integration, would love that e-mail link to jump right to Gmail. I created a few notebooks this morning, and I think they are a nice way to organize collections of information (http://google.com/notebook/user/11097365311353143484), in this case links to my favorite board games.

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Search Public notes : GOOGLE Results and it is so rare to find one like this in google.

Notebook Results 0 – 0 of about 0 r

Search will be available in a few days

didaio [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

I can't add notes from Gmail :(

Digital Inspiration [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

I wish they had the Blog This feature in Google Notebook.

-Amit Agarwal

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I have not tried it yet!! But this is exciting product from the chatter that I am hearing!!

Stephan Locher [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

If you have to install this add on for Firefox, has someone checked if it sends some "talking home" information about which sites you visit or similar things back to google?

I know they're not evil but you never know...

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sweet!! It works great!! I like how it adds the link to the webpage where you cut the note from.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Very nice product and on the day I predicted :).

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It doesn't look like it's "talking home". Obviously when you're interacting with the notebook it talks to google.com – and sends all the cookies related to this domain, including Analytics stuff like "utmcsr=blog.outer-court.com".

Once you click "Open Notebook" it requests a few pages. The urls look like this (I changed the ids):
http://www.google.com/notebook/onpage?client=gnotesff&v=1.0.0.4&zx=1145783685076
http://www.google.com/notebook/token?pv=1.1&i=&tok=&cmd=&zx=1145783685756-0
http://www.google.com/notebook/read?pv=1.1&i=&tok=25RzPzUOfFozP4ZBe7XU7VWReDw%3D%3A1145783684278&cmd=u&zx=1145783686485-1

18 years ago #

I think it needs a date / time stamp on the notes that you make. The only think I have seen so far that stops it being a total delicious take over.

Tiago Serafim [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Oh my.... This is a Scrapbook killer...of course Scrapbook has much more features, but I didn´t need that...

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>Very nice product and on the day I predicted :).

clap... clap... :)

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

-> A date/timestamp is available if you click show details.
-> You can use it as a kind of blog by making your notebook public.

18 years ago #

Anyone else tried to use the Notebook with a Gmail Chat window open?

This is the perfect example of why Google need to start doing some integration.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Anyone else tried to use the Notebook with
> a Gmail Chat window open?

I'm not sure you can combine a Labs product with a Beta product! It's like getting into a time machine and then meeting your younger self... the world will implode or something! :)

Easterangel [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Man now I have to transfer my Gmail notes to Notebook. I think this is cool but I had some broken links when I tried out a photo.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

what does the IE version look like? I can't be bothered to download as I mainly use Firefox.

didaio [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Art-one, "-> A date/timestamp is available if you click show details. " I can't find "Show details" link.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Photos seem to always break when you edit the text around them.... hopefully that'll be fixed soon.

didaio [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Mrrix32, IE version works like FF. You can see Notebook icon in status bar. If you have last beta version of Google Toolbar for IE7, you see Notebook icon in toolbar too.

For install you must download file of 170 Kb and run it. Uninstall him you can from Add/Remove Programs.

didaio [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Art-one, ough... I find "Show note details" in Action box... Sorry :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think Onfolio has a better integration with the browser. You can try it in Live Toolbar (http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=f53eeee8-de38-45c8-bc6d-a4749e827cc5)

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

No way am I downloading Live toolbar. It installed loads of rubbish on my system. Took me ages to clear it all off. Personally I think the Windows Live Toolbar is the worst toolbar out there (or at least of the ones i've tried).

Jas Singh [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Looks like Google has got its Mojo back! This product is super cool. Interestingly, the Product Manager behind this product is Shashi Seth, who last week also released Google Co-op. I wonder if these two products will play together in the future.

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

http://google.com/trends?q=onfolio%2Cevernote%2Conenote%2Cgoogle+notebook%2Cdel.icio.us&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

John-Erling Holmenes Fredriksen [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I cannot find the download for the Firefox extension. Is it on the Google Notebook site? I cannot find it there, I cannot find it on the official extension site for Firefox, and a simple web search on Google doesn't return anything useful apart from old articles about the "upcoming" Google Notebook.

John-Erling Holmenes Fredriksen [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Never mind, found it via Google Groups. It wasn't exactly easy...

Steve Mansfield [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

We've had a product that does what Notebook does and quite a bit more, called PreFound PFfinder out with our service since 1/17/06 and a product available that did similar things since 2001 called HydraLinks. And, PFfinder has tagging technology associated with it that allows for automated and user-generated tags. Onfolio and Pluck also have similiar offerings. It's just that when Google introduces something, it gets a lot of virtual and actual ink. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Ken Kuhl [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

gotta say, this Notebook is slick; very useful. And the integration is tight. I'm going to be using this product.

Nate L. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I don't know why this is getting so much bad press, especially from Mike Arrington. I find this tool to be remarkably useful.

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes....it proved to be useful when doing a research paper and collecting tidbits of info, pictures, and links for works cited... :)

18 years ago #

Mike seems to target the lack of tagging. I'm not the biggest tagging evangelist myself (the keywords are mostly contained in the text you'll copy to Notebook, no?) but I can see why that could be turning some people off. I think Notebook is a very simple to the point tool (not simple in terms of implementation, of course, but in terms of what it does)... but that's what's often good about Google tools, and I think we have reason to expect some evolution with this tool. I wonder if I end up using Notebook – I used it today already to nod down a train connection, instead of my usual "local temp.txt" approach. And already I was wanting some Calendar integration...

18 years ago #

Mike's article:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/05/16/google-notebook-launches/

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"I also wonder about Google’s dedication to its own projects. For example, what will be the fate of Google Bookmarks now that Google Notepad has launched? Google Labs is littered with half baked and half finished products. I see little or no product vision coming out of Google, sitting fat and arrogant on it its Adsense revenues."

Very harsh and unfair. Notebook (or Notepad) has a different purpose than Bookmarks. Notebook is for research, while Bookmarks is for keeping track of useful links. Notebook is like a clipboard or a temporary file, while Bookmarks is like the Favorites menu from your browser.

Bookmarks is a finished product, while Notebook needs some work (snippets editing, better search options, export to PDF).

I think the extensions for FF and IE are absolutely useless. A bookmarklet that sends your selection to Google servers would've been enough.

Christian Cadeo [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I like it primarly as it allows me to save clippings to the cloud vs. onfolio which served it locally. Only wish you can upload other files such as pdf and office files. So for now I will stay with onfolio which rocks.

elyk [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

"I also wonder about Google’s dedication to its own projects. For example, what will be the fate of Google Bookmarks now that Google Notepad has launched? Google Labs is littered with half baked and half finished products. I see little or no product vision coming out of Google, sitting fat and arrogant on it its Adsense revenues."
Not to mention that why google launches a service in labs is they aren't sure whether it's going to be popular or not. If it seems that a lot of people are using it, they'll keep working on it. If not, they don't waste time on it, for example, ride finder.
"Never mind, found it via Google Groups. It wasn't exactly easy..."
It should have prompted you to download as soon as you logged in.

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

2 Things:

- I would love if Google opened the door to the most clipped "say URLs"

- Is there a limit to how much you can clip at once ? I am trying to "Note this" the whole current posts of Blogoscoped, I am getting each time "Error creating note."

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Can someone help me here- tell me what this does and why it's useful. I realize that's very stupid of me- but why is this so cool to everyone? I am not sure I get the point.

justinf [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i dont see myself using it that much either.
you just cant beat grep and a command line text editor.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!