Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Yahoo's New Homepage  (View post)

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 16, 2006
18 years ago5,493 views

I didn't have it by default. I had to click on preview the new yahoo.com link.

AJ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I couldn't see the new version at all in IE7 Beta because they say they don't support the browser.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

There's still a "switch to old page" option, the old design might be hanging around for a while.

I prefer the old design, if only because it doesn't force me to horizontal-scroll.

J. J. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Haha, AJ. I wonder if we have Yahoo! or Microsoft to blame for the IE7 problem?

I, too, still have the old design. Doesn't really matter to me, though, since the only time I use a Yahoo! search is when its included in a metasearch like dogpile, rollyo, or clusty (the latter only searches Y! News).

babasave [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

"The layout is spanning the full browser window on 1024x768 pixel resolutions, whereas the old Yahoo homepage was only optimized for 800x600 pixels, though you will get a downgraded new design when you’re on lower resolutions"

you might want to take a look here http://de.yahoo.com/preview/index_narrow.html

cause this should fit into 800 px width.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Baba, the page content of your link above is roughly 960 pixels on my resolution – but as I mentioned, this varies (it will turn to a 800-friendly layout on smaller resolutions).

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think if no one had said anything I wouldn't have even noticed the difference. It is different I will give you that, but it is the same cramped page covered in links that I have no interest in.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

still waaaaaaaaaaay too cluttered.

justinf [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i agree. its just way too cluttered.

tina [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i love the new page... lets get on the switch!!!

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Tina: you must be a Yahoo employee... Are you?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You must admit it's much better than the old one.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ionut: I'm using it all the time ;-) In IE it's my startup page. But I use more FF and there Google is the boss...

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

still has WAAAAAAY to much clutter. They didn't learn.

Will [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I like the old one much better. I've saved the source code and everything so if they do take away the old page for good then hopefully I will still be able to use it.

rohan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I may be a swear off Yahoo! permanently and get a new e-mail through Google if Yahoo! doesn't give me the option of using the old homepage.
The new one's cluttered and not intuitive at all.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!