Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Yahoo's New Homepage  (View post)

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 16, 2006
14 years ago4,905 views

I didn't have it by default. I had to click on preview the new yahoo.com link.

AJ [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I couldn't see the new version at all in IE7 Beta because they say they don't support the browser.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

There's still a "switch to old page" option, the old design might be hanging around for a while.

I prefer the old design, if only because it doesn't force me to horizontal-scroll.

J. J. [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Haha, AJ. I wonder if we have Yahoo! or Microsoft to blame for the IE7 problem?

I, too, still have the old design. Doesn't really matter to me, though, since the only time I use a Yahoo! search is when its included in a metasearch like dogpile, rollyo, or clusty (the latter only searches Y! News).

babasave [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

"The layout is spanning the full browser window on 1024x768 pixel resolutions, whereas the old Yahoo homepage was only optimized for 800x600 pixels, though you will get a downgraded new design when you’re on lower resolutions"

you might want to take a look here de.yahoo.com/preview/index_nar ...

cause this should fit into 800 px width.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Baba, the page content of your link above is roughly 960 pixels on my resolution – but as I mentioned, this varies (it will turn to a 800-friendly layout on smaller resolutions).

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I think if no one had said anything I wouldn't have even noticed the difference. It is different I will give you that, but it is the same cramped page covered in links that I have no interest in.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

still waaaaaaaaaaay too cluttered.

justinf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

i agree. its just way too cluttered.

tina [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

i love the new page... lets get on the switch!!!

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Tina: you must be a Yahoo employee... Are you?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

You must admit it's much better than the old one.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Ionut: I'm using it all the time ;-) In IE it's my startup page. But I use more FF and there Google is the boss...

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

still has WAAAAAAY to much clutter. They didn't learn.

Will [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I like the old one much better. I've saved the source code and everything so if they do take away the old page for good then hopefully I will still be able to use it.

rohan [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I may be a swear off Yahoo! permanently and get a new e-mail through Google if Yahoo! doesn't give me the option of using the old homepage.
The new one's cluttered and not intuitive at all.

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!