Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Flickr Redesign

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, May 17, 2006
18 years ago3,952 views

Big Flickr redesign came out yesterday I think. It is pretty nice looking I love the way you fit two columns of photos on your page now. But the menus seem odd.

What do you think?

18 years ago #

OMG!

Just checked the new Organizr (is that spelt right?) and it is super slick? They have (finally) dropped flash and it is AJAX. It looks like something from Flock.

18 years ago #

And on the funny side... they are out of Beta. Into Gamma.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I checked it but couldn't see much new. What I am wishing for is not done so far:
- a unified Creative Commons search http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/
- faster loading of images

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The new organiser is really really good. Why hasn't Google got anything like Flickr yet? Shame Google didn't buy it really, I think it would have fitted great in their portfolio.

18 years ago #

Dan have you ever tried Flock? The new oganiser feels a lot like the interface for Flickr in Flock. It is really much better than the old, clunky flash thing they used to use.

Google should have bought it. They know they should have. But since they missed it and Yahoo are hardly going to give it up I thought that Riya was the next best thing for them. But we will see.

Philipp: what is new? New menus at the top. Fewer links at the bottom. More photos displayed on each page. Sets on the right. New organiser that rocks. And I believe you once complained that in Flickr when you sign in the search box disappears. Well the search is now as clear as day (top right).

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Just downloaded it. I'll give it a try. Do you use it as your primary browser Sam?
Everything seems to have gone quite on the Google buying Riya front. Maybe they had a look and decided they can do a better job on their own. Hopefully we'll see something that will beat the competition this year.

18 years ago #

I don't use it as my primary no. But I think that it is a very interesting and good idea. It is just too buggy right now. Basically Flock is a "Yahoo Browser". It shows the web and integrates Yahoo tools (namely del.icio.us & Flickr) into the browser itself. I think anyone who thinks there should be a Google Browser should have a look. The result is nice.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It has got nice integration and is a cool idea, but I think it could be done better. Is it based on the firefox code? Or have the just copied a lot of the GUI? (as in loads! :)) Would be great if Google released a browser with integration like this.

18 years ago #

It is based on the Mozilla code yeah. You are right that it could be done better. But it is a nice idea I think.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!