Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google in German Stern  (View post)

Jens Minor [PersonRank 3]

Thursday, May 18, 2006
18 years ago5,187 views

Thank you for the article. I will buy this magazine tomorrow.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Eric Schmidt only learned about Google Trends days before its public release.

well, i guess his title IS only ceremonial.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Heheheh...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think it's a good thing he did find out about it...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If Googlers are caught checking the daily Google stock value, they are made to pay a penalty the height of that day’s stock value (’cause money’s not everything).

>> is it a joke?

Ratatösk [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

no, the stock thing is real

Personman [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

The stock thing is insane! I mean, it's not a huge deal, but it's a random revocation of a pretty basic freedom. Why?

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yeah, that stock thing, if true, is really lame. I enjoy learning about the market and investing, but does that make me a greedy, heartless bastard who cares only about money? No, it means I want to be informed about something that interests me.

Also, that 10% thing seems accurate. Originally I thought it was 80% Google and 20% other stuff. However, more recently they seem to be focusing on the 70/20/10 idea, with 70% core search, 20% Google side projects, and 10% pet projects (like Suggest and probably Trends).

I've also heard (from someone "in the know") that the 80/20 or 70/20/10 time schedules are mainly used to make Google look cool and that a lot of people don't spend any time on side projects. Take that with a grain of salt, though.

Ben Perry [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Yeah, The Economist backs up that 10% thing, too:

http://economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=6911096

"Mr Brin (“the strategy guy”) has calculated that Google's engineers should spend 70% of their time on core products (ie, the search and advertising engines), 20% on relevant but tangential products, and 10% on wild fun that might or might not lead to a product."

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think the 70/20/10 and the 80/20 rule are two different rules... might be wrong. The one is which kind of products the company at large wants to focus on. And the 20% is a time-out for engineers where they can work on whatever they feel like, even crazy stuff that just interests them and has nothing to do with Google. The reality of course might be that people are to overworked to make use of the 20% rule... I don't know...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!