Forum

How many blogs are they?

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, May 24, 2006
18 years ago2,791 views

I performed the following search in Google:

+filetype:xml OR +filetype:rss OR +filetype:atom xml OR rss OR atom

... came up with 82,300,000 results.

Technorati sites a total of 40.8 million sites/blogs, Google Blogs Search didn't give me the 82 millions either.

Could this mean the total number of blogs in the intenet is approximately what that google search came up with ?

Does anyone have higher numbers ?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

(Don't forget that it's not only blogs that have rss/atom/xml feeds...)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

A search for "the" in Google Blog Search returns about 358 million results... the English blogosphere according to Google, if you will (with lots of splogs, I assume):
http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&q=the&btnG=Search+Blogs

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think use "inurl:blog" will be more accurate...returns 319,000,000 results...lol
also, i want to know what's the difference between the operator "allinurl" and "inurl"...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I linkblogged the last analysis..

http://peterdawson.blogspot.com/2006/05/bloglines-state-of-blogosphere-april.html

this does not cover myspace and some of the Blog platforms avialable in KR /CN ..

18 years ago #

Haochi:

Taken from: http://www.google.com/help/operators.html

allinurl:
If you start a query with [allinurl:], Google will restrict the results to those with all of the query words in the url. For instance, [allinurl: google search] will return only documents that have both "google" and "search" in the url.

inurl:
If you include [inurl:] in your query, Google will restrict the results to documents containing that word in the url. For instance, [inurl:google search] will return documents that mention the word "google" in their url, and mention the word "search" anywhere in the document (url or no). Note there can be no space between the "inurl:" and the following word.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think whatever the Google engineers came up with to determine what's a blog and what's not in Google Blog Search is more sophisticated than what you could do with their web search query syntax... well, at least that was the theory behind my suggestion :)

18 years ago #

I don't think the Google engineers actually managed to determine what a blog is anyway. "Google Blog Search" should really be called "Google Feed Search" as it really indexes feeds – which isn't restricted to just blogs (as I mentioned earlier). Likewise, the "blogurl:" operator should be replaced with "feedurl:" – why the "site:" operator wasn't enough in the first place, I'll never know...

(BTW, is that a new thing for Google Blog Search? I'm sure that the "site:" operator never used to work...)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!