Friday, May 26, 2006
18 years ago3,723 views

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2198487,00.html

IDOL got more votes than any PRESIDENT of the USA

<b>64 Million!!!!</b>

interesting, what motivates society

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Is that 64 million unique voters, or are multiple votes by the same individual included.

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hopefully – people are only voting once – since they are talking about the final episode.

But even dedecting for hypothetical for malicious error...........

Even in an extreme case of 10% .....That still is MASSIVE... and says something about the mood of society today.

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I wonder what percent are teenagers, and what percent are over 25 years old. If a large percentage are under the age of 25 then it pretty much tells us that those age groups like American Idols, which is not surprising. Now, if a significant number of the voters are over the age of 25, I think that would more tells us something about the mood of society today.

18 years ago #

since so-called teenagers CAN vote at 18 – if they Do NOT – but those SAME ones voted for American Idol – it DOES say something about society today :LOL or maybe :-(
would be more appropriate

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well yes, but that has been true for a long time now. Teenagers and young adults usually care more about popular culture events than politics. So if the majority of the Idol voters are teenagers, then it does not tell us anything new about today's society.

18 years ago #

It does because untile American Idol and instant voting there was no way to measure the disparity.

there demographics were the under 50 and mostly 18 -34

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/big-brother-3-premiere-gets-strong-ratings-edges-fox-american-idol-456.php

And even if the 18 -34 do not care about politics – the Presidency is a whole 'nother ball game.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

these are interesting factiods. Thanks for tip

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

S.E.W.: Okay, so now I have some numbers to confirm what I intuitively knew for some time. While it's good to have the numbers, I don't understand the significance that bloggers and reporters are placing on this. The idea that Americans in those age groups seem to care more about events in popular culture than politics have been true since the 90's; dare I say even the 80's. So it's not worthy of being treated as some major new revelation about today's society.

In addition, it takes much more physical and mental effort to vote for the president than it does to vote on American idol. Considering that, the idol numbers may be small compared to the presidency. To truly measure the disparity, you would have to find something that demands at least a similar level of physical and mental effort. Would have much people voted on American Idol, if you had to study the complex views of each candidate, register to vote, and then stand in a long line – I doubt it. Maybe what the numbers really tells us is that people are lazy. If the government made voting for the president as easy as making a cell phone call, and took away the need for registration, we would have many millions more votes and voters than we do now. Am I wrong on that?

P.S. – I'm just trying to look at this from a different angle than what most people are taking.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Or: Like a buddy of mine said this evening.. if the amercian voting for the president is as easy as lifting a phone and calling a number , they will do it and then the counts may look healthier for the amercians!!

I think you right on that ..amercians a lazy bunch society. By a virture of nomenclature, mHo is that they prefer to sit back and laze around..

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

In Germany you can send multiple votes for your idol. So that means there are hardcore fan gettogethers where they dial-vote 50 times per person. So that'd skew the numbers...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!