Google Blogoscoped

Forum

lots of spam in gmail...

mark glanville [PersonRank 1]

Saturday, May 27, 2006
18 years ago3,426 views

is it just me, or is everyone else finding gmail's spam filter letting things through over the past few days?

i've been using gmail since sept 2004 and have only ever had about 5 spam emails get through the filter in that time, but just today i've had 4 and 2 yesterday.

obviously it's not a quantity that's causing me a problem, i'm just curious as to what's changed. i haven't knowingly leaked my gmail address to anyone unsavoury so is there something wrong with the filter?

mark.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I've had about 2 spam messages get through in the last 3 months. I don't think anything has changed. It's still excellant! By the way compare that to my Hotmail account, about 20 spam messages in my inbox just today!

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Y'all lucky man, I received like 5 spam today(inbox) and ~100 others goes to Spam.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I get Chinese spam. Maybe Gmail can't filter Chinese text.

Michael White [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

yeah, I would definitely agree that I am getting more spam in the last few weeks or so. I'm getting a lot where the message is attached as an image.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>I'm getting a lot where the message is attached as an image.
Same here, like a hundred of them, and I got some from the exp1-host.com[i have no idea what's this].

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

My wife uses her Yahoo! and also SBCGlobal.net addresses exclusively, and she is getting a TON of spam...58 overnight, including like a dozen from the same bozo.

I use only Gmail and get a few. I have anything from Yahoo! fwd'd to Gmail, but I get NOTHING like she does.

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

My fiance and I use Gmail and the spam filter is great. But today for the first time, she had over 20 spams in her Inbox. So yeah, we're noticing the change too, Mark.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

for the pst 2-3 weeks my spam box has blown up and a much higher % are going to my inbox. As stated before most of it is attached images. and more specifically "watch this stock" junk. comes from hundreds of different addresses and has employed countless anti-spam techniques

Jason Schramm [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

I've been noticing a lot of spam that is images in the message. And in many instances the image code is encoded in the actual message. I thought about maybe filtering it with a greasemonkey script, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I delete around 20-50 spams per day... in general I've had worse experience with Hotmail (though with Hotmail, the problems were more serious because the spam would fill up your inbox quickly, and you wouldn't get the real mails anymore).

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

To start with I was amazed at how well the spam filter worked (compared to MSN and Yahoo) now it's letting about the same amount through. What does the report as spam button do? I keep getting mailk from the same address with the same type of content and it still ends up in my Inbox

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I would create a filter for some specific email address domains...such as @exp1-host.com.
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1433/13zq.png
and check "delete it".

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!