Google Blogoscoped

Forum

gmail invites depreciated ?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, May 31, 2006
18 years ago3,579 views

hey .. my Gmail invite kinda slipped from 98 to 88 ....any idea what is happening here.. I just noticed this count changed..

and nope, I have not invited 10 peeps over the last 2 months or so.. yeah my count was 100 and I sent out only 2!!

can anyone confirm that this happened to them too ??

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i still have 96... perhaps somebody is logging into your account, /pd... :-)-

Razi Shaban [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

naah, it happened to me too a while ago, and i wouldnt give out my passwords unless someone put a gun to my head and fired... or a hot girl asked me... but thats not the point... but i would say maybe ten disappeared about a month ago...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

ok so others have noticed what I have seen.

Kirby, could you keep your eye on the counter and if it tips could you give me aheadsup ? thks

/pd

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

it happen to me too
i had 78 (yeah lots of people to invite..i dont really care. as long theyll use Gmail) and it changed to 76..and i dont recall inviting more people.

and i think that in the past when you didnt have 100 invites, Gmail changed it to 100 invites.
they dont do that now..
why?!

18 years ago #

by the way..
maybe Gmail is in lack of invites for new users.. so they take invites from old users and give to the new users?!
could it be?!

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

mine was at 100 and has now gone down to 98. are they struggling to keep up with new users? or is gmail about to stop invites, and come out of beta? (first more likely i think)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Several old accounts I setup still have either 50 or 100 invites left...

However, a newer one which previously had zero now has 15.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

that does not make sense.. take out invites and give to new users.. after all the purpose of a product is growth and traction. The more gmail users, the more adsense can be distrbuted. this direcrtl ties in with reveune. After all, sponsered links always appear on the right panel for gmail. There is is revenue growth -so why cut down whats a profitable channel for them ??

Having said that , is this a ramp down so that they can layer onto the beta "community" another enchancment /service or are they going gung ho – because of bandwidth/Storage and/or other hicups ??

The more I look at this, the more it intrigues me :)-

18 years ago #

<Kirby, could you keep your eye on the counter and if it tips could you give me aheadsup ?>

ok.. will do..

18 years ago #

this is very odd..
what do they really do with these invites?!
and how come theyve stopped renewing the invites counter..:

18 years ago #

Gmail can probably only cope with so many users – i.e. the maximum number of invites that have been distributed. (I'm sure this has been confirmed by Google to be the reasoning behind the invite concept before... but I could be wrong.)

From what I've seen, new users haven't been receiving invites in the same high quantities as older accounts used to. As new user accounts are created, it makes more sense to take invites away from the people that don't appear need them and give them to the newer users who may be grateful for them. And that's a lot easier to do than it is to do more stress testing and increase server capacity...

18 years ago #

nice thinking Tony :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I am at 89 invites. But if there are 100 users who invite 100 more who invite 100 more who invite 100 more who... wouldn't that be, like, a lot? :D

18 years ago #

Indeed it would be a lot – which is exactly why you don't automatically get 100 invites when you create an account. Google are stealing from those rich with invites and giving to them to the poor!

(They're just like a modern day Robin Hood...)

18 years ago #

hey... i just checked some of my other gmail accounts. Ones that i registered but hardly ever use. and some of those are down to 50!!! Although one other account still has exactly 100.

18 years ago #

i have 3..
my regular one..
and other two i hardly ever use..
my second one has 97.. and ive use only one invite (which means that it dropped from 99 to 97)..
and the 3rd has nothing..
and its pretty old..(Mar 15, 2006)

Jamie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Still exactly 100 here... This account gave out a ton of invites at one point, but none for a year or so.

18 years ago #

right..
whats going on out there..?!

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

seems that Google stops giving gmail invites to existing gmail accounts. Am i right?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

w/back Pokemo :)-

yes, your right!!...but why ??

18 years ago #

Philipp, can you contact Gmail and ask them about this "problem"?
and show them this post too... :)
thanks..

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!