Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

How long til the C&D comes? :)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

C&D, or job offer?

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Or both? I very much doubt he'll get away with using the Google Labs logo though

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

No I don't think he'll get away with it. It's well done, but I can't see the point of Google having a product like this. Wouldn't it just be better to offer alternative searches on the results page?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Not working on IE???
I will try it out when I get home.

Scott Butner [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Wish I'd thought of this when I had my interns develop an environmental acronym expander for Google homepage API – although, I guess the API doesn't let you interact with the actual Google search box, does it?

btw, anyone who wants to play with the acronym expander can get the module here:

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/~cs423/423spring06/PNNL-S/modules_beta/mod_glossary.xml

it will be moving to our production site soon. Any feedback is welcome.

Michael White [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Wow, I didn't even know about the ~ synonym operator. And I thought I was a google fanboy...

David Coallier [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Haochi, you can click on Known Bugs in order to see the current bugs and a div will popup in the corner, but no it doesn' t work in IE as I dont' have any machine with IE :((

Well, I probably won't get away with it, but if they ask me to remove it, I will do so right away. I don't mind. I, at least, kept their names and copyright, but that's true that the logo, I will probably have to change (which is not a problem with me, as long as they notice it and from what I have been reading so far, people seem to like it.)

I didn't know about the tilde option either, although, I think my widget differs from the tild option as it doesn't get the TOP words, but all the synonyms on online-thesaurus.

Regars,

--David

18 years ago #

Oh, for TOM (first reply) I forgot to say that it works in French, German, English and Spanish depending on your browser's language.

I might add the option of choosing the language or just adding all the language and when you get the dropdown list, instead of having search results like Google Suggest, I will put the language on the side.

Mark Harwood [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Cute, but try the "Visual Thesaurus" tool for an alternative visualisation of terms *and* how they are related. This helps with disambiguation.
However, looks to me like this and visual thesaurus are both based on the same freely available thesaurus (WordNet) and therefore suffer from the same problem – related terms are only identified for words that have been manually tagged in WordNet.

Solutions that are capable of identifying related terms regardless of language, subject matter and without manual maintenance of a thesaurus are where things really get interesting...

18 years ago #

There is something pretty cool that we are putting in place now is indexing of the searched terms. As soon as there's enough users that used it, I will be able to get the words that actually make sense.

But yes, we are suffering from the online-thesaurus xml api results.

I think the option-improvement I stated above, will make it much better, even buyable ;)(joke)

So yes, we will index it depending on the words that people used in the search, I will most likely find a way to make this synonym search much more reliable as it grows (if it ever does) because I am aware that the tilde in google is almost the same but I don't like top words ;)

Please people don't forget that I didn't do this tool to *shine*... It was simply my girlfriend telling me that it would be cool if google would have something like this :) And I use it pretty much everyday now ;)

Anyway, thanks for reading my novell ;-)

--D

18 years ago #

Ok, something better, now evertime someone uses it *launches a search* it indexes the word, the synonym chosen and the language, so if people use it, I will be able to manage real good synonyms and display results of how many times the synonyms has been chosen on the right side of my div :)

Enjoy, I will put on the interface to see the statistics as soon as I start and end coding it (starting now).

--D

18 years ago #

Ok, last comment of this Serie.

http://david.dotgeek.org/google/syn/results.php

It's still alpha :)

- [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

hehehe

y [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

this is such a half-a$$ed attempt – there is no intelligence whatsoever in this thing. and yeah the page doesnt even load anymore.

17 years ago #

That wouldn't load anymore because I moved it to results.php sorry about that.

so http://david.dotgeek.org/google/syn/results.php is the page :)

I totally forgot about it.

P.S. The idea is not intelligence, it's usefullness
--D

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!