Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Picasa Web Albums Coming?  (View post)

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, June 7, 2006
18 years ago29,680 views

about time. GPhotos. That little blurb doesn't exist now tho.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yeah about time that we had everything in one spot.. with one sign on!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> That little blurb doesn't exist now tho.

I can still see the "New! Picasa Web Albums"...

Zomic13 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I have been waiting for this for so long. I recently tried using Googe Page Creator as a sort of photo hosting, but 100mb doesn't go far.

I hope that this is true (and released soon)!

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Great spot!
I am really looking forward to this – I assume a new version of Picasa will be released soon too hey?

One with direct uploading capabilities?

N. Godbout [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Great, now if only we had a Mac version of Picasa.

rodflash.com [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Funny! I saw that today at morning.
Hope the do this!

18 years ago #

I think the URL picasaweb.google.com is too long. As Brinke hinted at, they'll proably put this on photos.google.com or pics.google.com (if it's at all a Google Flickr, that is).

Maximo [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It seems more sleepless nights await us.

Jesse Steinfort [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

flickr has quite the headstart...

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Jesse: Hotmail had quite a headstart, Excel has had quite a headstart, Word has had quite a headstart, so did Geocities and Yahoo Calendar.

Don't worry. Google will catch up (maybe not with the first release.. but soon after).

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

According to facebook, it is the "#1 photo site on the web, with over 1.5 million photos uploaded daily"

http://hs.facebook.com/press.php

Anyone suprised? I am. I'm also not sure i believe it, but hey: I've uploaded more there than on flickr, how about you?

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Man, I'm too tired to wait up for another potential release.... Wish someone else could sign me up!
on the off chance if it comes out and if they do an Email sign up think like they did with spreadsheet... someone put my address in please! trex005 at the mail with the G .com

Mahlon [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Remember the Analyst Day slide presentation that was published with the speaker notes? From Slide 3:

"Picasa – provide better organization for our digital lives and with the release of *online photo management*, organize/store more of our important/cherished data with Google."

http://www.buygoogle.com/2006/03/google-flickr.html

toml [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

there is no link on picasa download page for webalbum

Skeptic [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Sam Davyson: "Jesse: Hotmail had quite a headstart, Excel has had quite a headstart, Word has had quite a headstart, so did Geocities and Yahoo Calendar.

Don't worry. Google will catch up (maybe not with the first release.. but soon after)."

Um, not sure if you know this, but Google isn't even close to being a contender in any of the categories you just mentioned, except maybe mail where it is a far distant 4th (Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL dominate). Writely and Spreadsheet have zero users now, and calendar and pages probably have about 0.02% of the users of Geocities/Yahoo Calendar. Even in maps they are not close. The only really successful project Yahoo! has done on a mass scale is search.

Loretta [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I do really like flickr ~ but I am definitely interested to see what differences there will be. I'm quite looking forward to some cutting edge google tech goodies here ;)

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is excellent news. Sam Davyson and I were talking about this only a couple of days ago. I've been waiting for this product from so long. Hopefully it'll be much better than flickr in the long run.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Can people still see the link on the homepage? or has it gone now?

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

http://www.hello.com/ is as great domain name and I think Google isn't taking advantage of it yet! The page hasn't been updated since May 2004 or so. I wish they combine Picasa and Hello as one piece of software otherwise this creates confusion! Not good for baby Google (or Google monster, depends how you see it) ;-p

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

it's gone for me

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I agree iZeitgeist. But I think it should be more of an integration between Picasa , Hello and Google talk. That way there is only one instant messenger service, but it's just extended for use with picasa.

18 years ago #

Skeptic:

>> Um, not sure if you know this, but Google isn't even close to being a contender in any of the categories you just mentioned, except maybe mail where it is a far distant 4th (Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL dominate). Writely and Spreadsheet have zero users now, and calendar and pages probably have about 0.02% of the users of Geocities/Yahoo Calendar. Even in maps they are not close. The only really successful project Yahoo! has done on a mass scale is search.

Yes I am aware that Google has certainly not yet caught up in terms of number of users. But in terms of the feature set offered I think Google has exceeded its rivals. So what I meant was that I think it could do the same in this space. In terms of my user experience it is not important whether other people are using it.

I understand that you'd like integration with Picasa, but I'd rather hope that this service is not Picasa only. I think that would be a pretty silly move by Google. Having said that a good desktop product with an online system too is unique isn't it?

michperu [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Now It's gone. But I will waiting to sign up.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I agree Sam, I think it would be silly for Google to have this service for picasa only, it should have a web interface, maybe even an api, but should also be heavily integrated with the desktop picasa.

john [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Please, please let this be true, it would be great to create web albums / share from picasa and is perfect fit

Jim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Great! If it have unlimited storage, I will use it. Now I wanted to try Riya, but uploading there is really slow.

john [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

PS: link is gone for me too):

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Google should work on integration...

Now you have both Google Desktop & Picasa that is searching for information.
You have Google Desktop that is uploading caching information to be searched in from other computers.

Think one step further. The search feature of Picasa will be integrated in Google Desktop. Pictures are uploaded to the Google Cache. An on-line viewing functionality will be added to that cache & you have Google Photo or whatever it will be called.

Add some sharing functionality, some integration with gmail, gtalk, writely & gpages & you have everything you ever dreamed of... (well...)

18 years ago #

1.) Google should start their unlimited photo service at hello.com, it shoudn't be too hard for them to come up with a Flickr-Killer service (Bubbleshare and Zooomr have managed to get a somehow Flickr-like).

2.) The original Hello soft should be integrated to Picasa and offer mega upload to the photo service and Blogger.

3.) Let alone Gtalk (maybe add file-sharing and automaticaly upload shared pictures -only- to the photo service, with the possibility to tag and such right from the Gtalk client)

18 years ago #

Hmm. It seems unlikely that it should come so soon after Spreadsheets. More likely a slip of something further down the line. Although because I have said this they will probably launch tomorrow.

i am a girl [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

[put at-character here] izeitgeist

agree all the way with you

Pivari [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It's few months that Google is working hard on Picasa. This few important signs:
1) Picasa fo Linux
2) Google pay for the Picasa installation (in AdSense there are a lot buttons like the ones of Firefox)

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I agree with the Hello.com thing. I've thought for a while that with such a great domain name there would be more there..

jerry [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

im sure the web picasa will be released soon,google registed the domains picasaweb.com/net/org/info and PicasaWebAlbums.com/net/org/info recently.

18 years ago #

jerry, you're right:

.com, .net, .org, and .info domains for PicasaWebAlbums and PicasaWeb all have been registred by Google around this time:

Created on..............: 2006-May-17.
Expires on..............: 2007-May-17.
Record last updated on..: 2006-May-17 15:50:53.

It seems to me like the launch of such a photo service would be at least 3 or 4 months away from the domains registration task. Come'on Googlers where is your task flow skills ?! ;-)

BTW, PicasaWebAlbum.com has already been registred by some SPAMMER:
(Is there a service to know all the recently registred domains ??)

Zdenek Kubik (asdbhbhyasd676787
asbdhbahsbdht7676
76asdbhb
hasd[put at-character here]startseek.com)
+86.2158526062
Fax: +86.2158523251
Room 1014, Tomson I.T. Building
No.1 JiLong Road, Waigaoqiao
Shanghai, 200135
CN

Creation date: 22 May 2006 11:34:26
Expiration date: 22 May 2007 11:34:26

Brad [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I do hope this means they're actually going to continue development on Picasa. It's been basically stagnant since it was bought. Still a great piece of software, but it has so much potential to be even better. A web-based storage storage/photo album component would be a welcome addition.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Do you think we'll see a new version of picasa come out with the release of web albums?

18 years ago #

They will more or less have to give a new version of Picasa if they are dishing out web albums because they will have to add an "export direct to Picasa Online" button. Without that in picasa it would be foolish (I think) to even associate what seems like Google Photos with Picasa since Google is a well known name, and Picasa isn't.

So the fact that is it is very definately Picasa web albums must mean that they is some picasa integration... a new picasa version. Version 2.5 or more probably Version 3.

Jason [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Interesting....

this subfolder:
http://picasa.google.com/web

redirects to:
http://picasa.google.com/univ/web

But it returns a 404 for now.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

nice find!

same as www.picasa.com/web

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I guess this could just be the same as this subfolder though:

http://www.google.com/web

Which redirects here:

http://www.google.com/univ/web

18 years ago #

This is another one of those things. That is the university search showing up. It works on all google domains I have tried.

http://maps.google.com/web

Iolaire McFadden [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

This could tie in with the ScrapBook product in a more recent article.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

{ Philipp: There's a formatting error in this post. You need to close the SPAN tag after [Thanks Toml.] instead of the closing A tag. }

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

There's something weird in this forum too...all the "1 hour ago" type indicators for the posts are overlapping the black border on the right.

jerry [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i registered webpicasa.com,who want to own this domain name,please contact me:(

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>Niraj: must be a local problem. Mine are all beautifully layed out. Using FF.

18 years ago #

Thanks Tony, fixed...

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Art-One: I'm only seeing the problem in this thread. The other threads look fine, with the usual margins on the left and right of each post. I'm using IE, but only because I'm at work ;)

18 years ago #

Niraj,

I am at work as well and supposely must use IE, can't download .exe files and can't access any webmail including Gmail neither.

So I turned to PortableApps.com, the link below is to download Portable Firefox (zip file), it works great!! Doesn't need any installation or anything, and you can even have own your extensions and themes. As for Gmail, I use the secure link (https).

You gotta be productive at work, can't do that with IE ,-) lol

18 years ago #

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/portablefirefox/Portable_Firefox_1.5.0.3_en-us.zip?use_mirror=switch

18 years ago #

IE formatting problem is fixed!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Jerry Harbin owns the webpicasa.com site ??

http://google-microsoft-yahoo-ebay.blogspot.com/2006/06/google-picasa-web-albums-is-coming.html

BillyWarhol [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I wondered when Google was going to finally get into Web2.0 Social Photo space. Flickr is awesome & it's a classic case of once U join a community it's going to take a lot for U to leave all the fantastic Friends & acquaintances U've made! Picasa is a nice piece of Free software but for someone who has thousands of digital photos on their hard drive – it can be tough to navigate – a simple search by Date would help!! ;)) atanyrate i'll be interested in taking a looksee & seein what they've come up with! Flickr Rules!! ;))

18 years ago #

Search doesn't work well with photos. They still need Riya.

jerry [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

[put at-character here]/pd yes,im jerry harbin,i registered webpicasa.com

levihello [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i already send ALL my fotos via picasa gmail so all are ALREADY in the web..so the thing here isnt storage but sharing and taging .Socializing or better to say...social eyesing...why not include in it ready made groups.

Ruben [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I hope they keep the picasa name. I'm getting sick of seeing Google X product

Ruben [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Skeptic: "Um, not sure if you know this, but Google isn't even close to being a contender in any of the categories you just mentioned, except maybe mail where it is a far distant 4th (Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL dominate). Writely and Spreadsheet have zero users now, and calendar and pages probably have about 0.02% of the users of Geocities/Yahoo Calendar. Even in maps they are not close. The only really successful project Yahoo! has done on a mass scale is search."

Where are you getting your numbers from?

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It should have Google Adsense Images supported

Andria [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Bummer. 250MB for free and $25/year for 6GB total? Flickr gives 2 Gb monthly for the same price. $25 is the right price point for the hobbyist, but 6GB is not enough digital SLR photos. What happened to "Never delete again"? I take the time to upload the photos for people to see; it should also serve as a back up for me. Whatever other features they offer are icing. For example, I was looking forward to a tie-in with an assortment of photo printing services, as in Picasa. But no archive, no deal. Web hosting is cheap. My friends can still download and print the photos at the service of their choice.

Michael [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I have signed up myself and uploaded some pictures. Its a very clean good interface, and it links amazing well with Picasa. You can upload pictures from Picasa in any resolution including the original image resolution or 1600, 1024, 800, 640. The images are loaded in a two step process. A low resolution image is loaded straight away and appears as soon as you click next. The higher resolution image is loaded within 2 seconds.

The final file size for loaded images (at 640x480) is hanging around 40kb. This is a bit high jpeg compression for my liking, but I think I'm gonna have to such it in. The image compression looks reasonably good quality but much detail is lost.

I will use this either way due to the terribly good Picasa software which improves my photos more than viewing them at a lower compression.

What else can I say about the interface, well you could check it out yourself. Signup for a trial, and they sent me an email for an invitation within a day.

Linda Wiley [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think it is about time for picasa it will make life more simple.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!