Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Account's Authorized Websites?  (View post)

Ken Kuhl [PersonRank 7]

Thursday, June 8, 2006
18 years ago5,363 views

Could this ("Authorized Websites") be something related to controlling access to your account by other sites. For example, I've given my gmail address and password to Netvibes so that my gmail inbox can be displayed on my Netvibes page. Maybe this is a way Google is planning on giving us to control what sites/services (like Netvibes) have access to our info. An extra level of security maybe?

Jim Thompson [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I think that's exactly right, Ken. Flickr does this; they have web services that can provide your photos and information to 3rd-party sites, but private information is only available to sites you specifically authorize. For example, Qoop.com can print books from your Flickr photos, but you have to authorize access via Flickr's web site. Even when you write your own Java app using Flickr's web services, you have to authorize the access.

bd_ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

It's probably related to the "Account Authentication Proxy for Web Applications" mentioned at http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/Authentication.html . They're about two months behind their release estimate...

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

maybe it's like the Nike soccer site and the da Vinci Code site and stuff.. third party sites.

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

well you can connect your netvibes account with ebay to show your ebay listing on your netvibes start page. something like that probably.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

:(

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Isn't it something like OpenId?

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Do you think it will be possible to integrate a companies Single Sign On infrastructure with that? Would that be a great idea to do? Or would it be too Google locked in?

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Perhaps it is something to do with GPay or something. It could be a list of which sites you let take charge you through your Google account...just throwing the suggestion around – I have no clue :D

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!