Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Fusion

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, June 8, 2006
18 years ago2,923 views

With Google throwing at us a product or two each other week, I am hardly keeping track of all the Google services. Google had talked a while ago about an internal projet called "Google Fusion". I think -if I am not wrong- it turned out to be the /ig. I wonder if there is more to the Google Fusion and hope they integrate their main products (Search, Gmail, Calendar, Reader, Video, Maps, News, Finance, Images, Groups, Froogle, Blogsearch, Page Creator, Booksearch, Alerts, Notebook, and Spreadsheets) for the people who are registred to them in a nice web2.0ish Ajax tabbed page. I'd hope this page/service would top all others services and would keep track of all the search you make, give you fast and easy access to any of the services and most importantly have all the product dynamically tied together (It's Google! they can figure it out!!).

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

iZeitgeist: Such a service would be great indeed.

Do you think on specific examples?

The my.yahoo.com service, the new yahoo frontpage & the yahoo toolbar (that is nicely integrating all the yahooservices I use) are nice examples I think. But as it is Google, like you say, they shouldn't have trouble to make it even better...

bobob [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I think the crucial thing in such an integration system would be interoperability between the different programs. eg. export a table from writely into spreadsheets, or write an email using writely. That sort of functionality, combined with a mash-up page, would constitute a Google-OS of sorts.

18 years ago #

Art-One: I can't think of an existing example since it hasn't been implemented anywhere on the web yet.

I am not really asking for much. As a start with, have an Ajax page with tabs (each tab for a product) where you can easily switch from a service to another without realoading the page.

bobob: I know we are still far from the Google OS.

But, this is how I envision it. Integration should be build on 3 axes: Store, Share, Publish. Where an added layer would come on top of all services allowing you to store, share or pulish any information. And this action of storing, sharing, pulishing should be understandable, useable and reachable by any of the services again.

18 years ago #

To clear out the confusing ideas I have posted above, here is a practical example:

Say someone emailed me a video, I should be able to send it directly to Google video (w/o downloading it to my computer), an from there publish it in my Google Pages all in *one interface*. There could be a multitude of example like this one. If we can do just this, it would be a big step already.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"Google had talked a while ago about an internal projet called "Google Fusion". I think -if I am not wrong- it turned out to be the /ig."
>> You're right : http://fusion.google.com

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think that will and must come, over time. Google Accounts itself was one of the first step towards merging the products – I still remember when you had to have a different password for different services. That changed around the time of Gmail (I think), and then they integrated products like AdSense to this Single Sign-On. Nowadays, Gmail again is at the center of integration, with the corner bookmarks at the top left. Maybe email is what people use most (in terms of time spent on the site), next to search.

Google OS is only truly Google OS when you can copy & paste stuff all around the different web applications. I think Microsoft is scared right now, and Live.com isn't really the solution to their problems either.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!