Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Browser Sync  (View post)

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, June 8, 2006
18 years ago7,376 views

I had a smooth account creation. I don't use the Bookmarks toolbar so I am a little annoyed that it open it up for me (without asking).

I mainly use one computer so I have yet to see this in action. But it should be awesome. I will restart now to check the time lag.

18 years ago #

Woah nice! It acts like a sessions saver too. But an optional one by the look of it. And the lag time is nothing.

18 years ago #

Ok. Major flaw that I cant see a way round. Now I have it synched with this machine. People cant use the browser when it is not synched with someone. So if I wanted to install the extension on my friends machine for when I was using their computer they would have to use it all the time. It should be turnoffable. e.g. unsynch but keep the browser going.

The synch lag is noticable too (one time only).

Jorge Silva [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Works fine in my Firefox. But I only have it instaled in 1 computer. later today I'll install it in another PC.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Workes smoothly for me so far!!

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sam, Jorge and Kirby what version of Firefox are you using ?

18 years ago #

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I works fine for me too.
But the problem is what happen to me this morning.
I installed Google Browser Sync at home, and, for test, I did the same on a computer at school.
I did it during a lesson (Java...).
I went on the net, open few tabs but the teacher come. I closed quickly Firefox.
But, the teacher ask me something and, meanwhile he was close to me, I had to consult the Javadoc. So I open Firefox and DAMNED! All my tabs closed previously open themselves again, so not my start page, cause of Google Browser Sync.
Hurry-up, I closed the tabs and go on Javadoc.
No problem for me, the teacher is cool, but imagine if I was checking huge Adsense incomes (lol), or a X-rated website (just an example ^^)...

So I uninstalled this extention at school.

Aaron Myers [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Works great here!

I installed it last night at home. I was looking at something before I came into work today, and when I launched Firefox at work – there was everything I was looking at before coming to work.

Very nice!

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

TOM: You should be learning at school, not fooling around ;-)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I should, I should... :-P
Shhhh.... don't tell that to my teacher! ^^

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

TOM: Is it not possible to disable the setting to restore the previous session?

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

At the moment, this is more like Google Firefox Sync. I hope they add IE so I can synchronize between work (IE) and home (FF). Does anyone know how the sync works? Can I have some bookmarks at work and some at home and share all of them? Is it possible to turn off the sync and have just the bookmarks you had originally on your browser?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Niraj > I think you can, because when you launch Firefox it's a "pop-up bubble" – like in the comics – it ask you if you want to restore or not

but this morning I think I have clicked too quickly or I pressed a key that accept to restore the tabs.
I just hope that if I use this extention on a "public computer" (at school it's an intranet, so you have sessions and passwords...) anybody could access to my cookies, passwords and so and so worth... :-S

(if you look at the extention Policies, Google doesn't deny that it could use your data that you export for stats, or in order to improve their products, or in order to spy you.... ^^)

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's really cool but if you are on a share computer, it's not recommended...
You can just click on show to see the PIN.

18 years ago #

"Google Browser Sync is disconnected because you logged in on a different machine. Your changes will be sent to the server the next time you connect."

Bummer.. can't have my laptop and desktop signed in at the same time...

18 years ago #

Can anyone please post a link to the actual .xpi file. I am at work behind Websense can't get to the Google install page. Thx

Billy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

My biggest complaint so far... it only allows you to sync one profile. I have one Firefox profile for work, and one for play. The only way to sync both would be to have 2 seperate Google accounts.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Can anyone please post a link to the actual .xpi file.

There you go:
http://dl.google.com/firefox/google-browsersync.xpi

18 years ago #

Thanks Philipp,

It downloads and installs smoothly (1 min or so). I checked everthing in the sync setting, opened a bunch of tabs closed FF and reloaded it again. The browser launch time lag -as it has been mentioned before- is about 3 seconds. On thing that I noticed too, is that this extension canceled the confirmation to close FF when you had multiple tabs opened; which seems to be a logic thing since you can reload them all. Overall impressions good. We'll have to wait and see what problems/bugs this might bring.

Silverbrow [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Am I right that it's a bit like Roboform Portable? Haven't personally installed Google's offering yet but will give it a go.

Jim Barr [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

No problems here so far! I installed the Google Sync extension into Firefox at work (Portable Firefox v1.5.0.3) and then installed it at home on Firefox (again, portable Firefox v1.5.0.3) and so far, it works like a charm.

I really like how it prompts you to restore the last session upon startup. If you choose to restore, your home tabs are closed, and the restored tabs are opened. If you choose not to, it just opens your home tabs. Looks like this solves Tom's potentially embarassing situation....

The other cool thing is that it even restores the last tab opened. I opened several tabs at home, closed Firefox, opened Firefox at work, restored the session, and all tabs opened with the last opened tab from home being active at work. Very nice!

Here's a tip: Go to http://PortableApps.com, download Portable Firefox, and copy it to a thumbdrive. It's a full version of Firefox, but comes configured in a single directory structure, so there's no installation, and things like cache, settings, etc. are all stored nicely in the same directory structure. No major registery updating, no files hidden anywhere. Copy the directory to your local hard drive, and configure it to your personal preferences. Then, when you are satisfied, copy that directory back to your thumb drive, and then copy THAT new directory to any other PC you want to be configured similarly. Using Google Sync will seamlessly keep things in sync. Portable Firefox has really proven to be very invaluable to me.

It'll be interesting to see if Google Sync can evolve into a system that can sync even more components--extensions, themes, etc.

Way to go Google!!!

Jim Barr [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

That should have been http://portableapps.com without the trailing comma...sorry...

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Can you change your PIN somehow?

Jonathan Harford [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

As soon as I installed this, my keywords stopped working. In fact, there was a number of address bar glitchiness.

It's a shame, because I currently use SessionSaver and Foxmarks, and this would replace both.

Dan Cousar [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

I currently have a laptop and a desktop in the same room. Both are online and I'm constantly flip flopping because a friend is on one or the other. So this is a real help when it comes time to switch back and forth between the two computers. Ican just sync up what i was doing on the laptop to my desktop if they need the laptop and the other way around. I had a smooth installation on both my desktop(Firefox 1.5.0.4) and my laptop(Firefox 1.5.0.4). I really have enjoyed this tool so far. :)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I can see what's coming.

I bet Google is preparing a similar sync facility for OpenOffice.org.

The extended version of OpenOffice.org will auto-sync your documents as you travel from computer to computer. And if you happen to be on a computer that doesn't have OpenOffice.org, simply use the clunkier Google online spreadsheet/wordprocessor service from any browser.

All your documents available wherever you go, whether you're using a mobile phone, a web browser, or a serious office suite.

All the pieces are starting to fall into place, although there's a heck of a lot of integration still to come.

Matt Uffa [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I was getting the same error as you.. it didn't seem to like what i had in my cached data.

I was able to fix this by clearing all of my private data within Firefox. Tools > Clear Private Data, then i selected everything.

installed fine after that

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!