Google Blogoscoped

Forum

China escalates the battle with Google

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, June 8, 2006
18 years ago4,799 views

China is sounding like they are setting the stage to permanently and openly censor Google.com. See below article. This of course will force Google to make the desision which Mr. Brin discussed this week. Leave or become a greater partner in tyranny.

I would rather Google leave than accept Google.com be blocked--but then they must not just quietly leave. Google must then declare war on internet censorship and the regimes that practice it, invest millions in breaking or bypassing the "great firewall", and launch a massive publicity campaign against dictatorships which censor the internet or any media.

The Chinese Communist dictatorship survives ONLY due to their ability to prevent: the Chinese people from having freedom of speech, from learning about the human rights attrocities of the regime, and from communicating with fellow Chinese to demand freedom and human rights. If the censorship collapses or weakens, the regime will collapse faster than we may imagine. This is the threat the Butchers in Beijing know unrestricted access to Google.com poses. Goog people must hasten the day, so we all may be free and safe.

News Story, Jun 08 11:14 AM US/Eastern:
"China welcomes foreign Internet companies working in China, but they must respect and abide by the country's laws, including those on expression, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said Thursday. The comments by ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao followed remarks Tuesday by Google Inc. co-founder Sergey Brin acknowledging the Internet company has compromised its principles by accommodating Chinese censorship demands."

Complete text:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/08/D8I43U4G0.html

Additional story:
China 'blocks' main Google site.
More than 100 million people are online in China
Chinese authorities have blocked most domestic users from the main Google.com search engine, a media watchdog said.

Text:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5055170.stm

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Thanks Support Freedom.

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You're welcome. Typo in my post; I meant "Good people must hasten the day...", not "Goog people!"

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> This is the threat the Butchers in Beijing know
> unrestricted access to Google.com poses.

One thing tho; even when Google access is unrestricted, the pages behind Google – when you click on the result – may be blocked. So just access to Google alone is not enough, though it's already a valuable step in the right direction. (Knowing what is censored is valuable information, and the snippet at least tells enough to know the scope that is missing.)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!