Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Other Blogs (German)  (View post)

Milly [PersonRank 10]

Friday, June 9, 2006
18 years ago4,772 views

>> "I’m recently blogging in two German multi-author blogs, in case
>> anyone’s interested: Die Pixelisten: http://www.pixelisten.de/ [...]"

I was interested Philipp, but unfortunately it seems that WordPress blog uses the braindead Bad Behavior anti-spam plugin, which dislikes AOL IPs and/or AOL proxy servers – and so I was blocked.

I'd have thought that 25 million AOL subscribers were a big enough group not to risk ensnaring with a big clumsy false positive generator, but apparently not. Oh well.

Yes, I could have bypassed the block using, for example, the Google Translate proxy (ah, the irony, since it's likely the Bad Behavior anti-proxy filter which objects to the AOL proxies).

No, I didn't report it to the email address given on the error page.

Too many hurdles to bother with, in both cases, I'm afraid.

How this kind of quasi-fascist reasoning :-

http://error.wordpress.com/2005/09/30/what-to-do-when-bad-behavior-blocks-you-or-your-friends/

... got so popular with bloggers presumably wanting to attract readers, is something of a mystery to me. Perhaps for some of the same reasons visual CAPTCHAs have: because any likely problem (false positives, in this case) will tend also to hamper the feedback loop. Spam goes down, blocked visitors mostly become invisible.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Wow, that's bad. We'll fix that. And thanks.

18 years ago #

Fixed!

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Thanks Philipp, works fine for me now. I just need to fix my German (Google Translate is almost useless for this purpose, it seems to me).

BTW, your new Ask ads don't seem to work in Opera 9 : can't enter a search topic; can't press Enter; can't even click through as if it were just a plain advert. The <noscript> alternative works as a plain click target, but it's all dead with JavaScript enabled.

They work okay for me in IE and FF.

Opera users are a tiny market, I appreciate ... I'm not complaining – just mentioning, while I noticed.

18 years ago #

I will forward your comments to FM -> Ask. I also told them they need to support hitting return, and that the input box text should be removed once clicked...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Actually it works for me on Opera 9 Beta 2. I mean, I can see it, but I can't click it. But I'm sure the ad payment is based on the page views, not on the actual clicks.

The ad in Opera is different than the other ads.

18 years ago #

FM has different kinds of ads – some are running based on page views (e.g. "objective: 2 million views in 3 weeks"), some are runnig based on percentage (for example, Snap was running on 75%), and some are running flat (like Ask currently, if I understood it right). But of course, if an ad or ad zone won't get clicks it will be hard finding advertisers in the future, so actual visibility and click-thru rates are an important part of the ads. For the Ask campaign, I removed all other graphic ad zones from the right and bottom, which is why the Ask campaign started only after Snap was finished.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!