Google Blogoscoped

Forum

High Gmail Spam Activity

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, June 10, 2006
18 years ago5,064 views

http://blogoscoped.com/files/spam.gif

My Gmail inbox is under an unusually heavy spam attack (well, spam that lands in the inbox, not in the spam folder). I hope the following filter helps a bit, I'm getting around a hundred per hour since yesterday. I hope Gmail's spam protection learns fast.

<<Matches: subject:("out of office" | "mail could not be delivered" | "response required" | "undeliverable" | "(no subject)" | "abwesenheitsnotiz" | "delivery status" | "auto reply" | "yahoo groups" | "yahoo grupos" | "autoreply" | "out of the office")
Do this: Skip Inbox, Skip spam classifier, Delete it>>

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think it's a bad idea to put your email everywhere.

18 years ago #

Bad for me, sometimes, but good for those who want to contact me...

I hope Gmail adjusts to this attack...

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I receive about 250 to 300 a day in my SPAM folder, I get very low false negatives and I put mail email everywhere as well (it's a proud-of-your-gmail-address and an every-body-knows-where-to-reach-me thing I think). Again I don't have the same exposure Philipp has.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

what?
i get non!
i use Gmail for like a year or so..
and i got Spam for 4 or 5 times..
thats it!

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

100 every hour landing in your inbox?! That is a incredible. Bad obviously but still an incredible number.

No surge for me.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I underwent that experince 2days ago..heavy traffic in the spam box and also heavy spam in the inbox... but now it seems to have leveled itself.. maybe its your DC has not received the updates for spam mngt

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't have any spam problems at Gmail yet. But I do have in my yahoo account. But yahoo is fairly good at filtering out the spam. I never look at the spam folder, hope that I don't miss too much mails that aren't spam but are classiefied as spam...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Your filter terms suggest that it's bounces coming back from some spammer who is sending out junk with your Gmail address as a forged "From" address.

I've been having a similar problem for the last week or so (only 10 an hour though, thankfully).

Joe C [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I get 20-50 a day. Quite annoying, especially when you can't guarantee all of them are Spam... so you've got to have a quick scan down the list...

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

No surge in spam for me (Except as described in a previous thread a month or two ago that I can not find now)

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

THREE HUNDRED A DAY? amazing.

18 years ago #

That was just the inbox of course... there are around 3,000 a day on the spam box (if I count just Saturday). I have 22,560 undeleted spam mails so far. But those I don't check so I'm not worried. Of course a real email or two might slip through but in general Gmail's spam checker was great...

¥€$ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

<<Matches: from:(-(google|googlegroups)) to:(youraddress[put at-character here]gmail.com)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Delete it>>

0 spam
but you have to use addresses like youraddress+z8r64[put at-character here]gmail.com

By the way, I need an extension for Firefox to generate these "disposables" Gmail addresses, Phillip?

max [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

copy paste this in a new bookmark, change "MY_GMAIL_LOGIN" by your gmail login.

javascript:alert('MY_GMAIL_LOGIN'+'+'+Math.
round(10000*Math.random())+'[put at-character here]gmail.com');

Try it first by copy/pasting it directly in your address bar.
each time you'll click this bookmark you'll have your random gmail email.

max.

max [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

careful, the @ has been remplaced by the image ... you need to remplace it back manually after you copy paste

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

What's the use of that? Just filtering?

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think you should use the 'report spam' button on mails which happen to arrive in your inbox, this way Gmail can learn from its mistakes.

¥€$ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

My problem with disposable emails it's that they are time-limited (or destroyed in case of spam). With this, I can continue to receive my messages even if they are filtered.
Moreover spammers don't (yet) generate this kind of addresses.

¥€$ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Thanks for the tip Max.

¥€$ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

[put at-character here]Wouter Schut> On 'generic' mail addresses (ie address[put at-character here]gmail.com, garden[put at-character here]gmail.com...) there's today 10 times more non-filtered spam than identified spam... hundreds...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!