Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Feature request in Google Search

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, June 10, 2006
18 years ago3,264 views

Okay, I have a wish for Google.

I use www.google.com/ig, the .com because of history, bigger database and so on. Now, I often need to search for something special in German (last example: the release date of the Veronica Mars DVD). What I ask for is some sort of a keyword I can use to only search inside German pages without going to www.google.ch and tick the "Only German websites", something like {searchlang:de "Veronica Mars" DVD} and the results are only German websites.
Is there such a thing or will there ever be one? (Hermon, any predictions ;-)?)

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Does http://www.google.ch/ig not give you what you want?

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Nope, gives me other results/sorting

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Corsin, I agree with you!

I looked for such a feature as well as I need sometimes to search for french results only,... So I do like you, go to the classic homepage, then switch to Google France, then of course switch back to Google English when I am done.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I always simply enter "der" or something along with the search query :)
I know, it's probably only an 80% perfect solution but it does the job.

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>> What I ask for is some sort of a keyword I can use to only search inside
>> German pages without going to www.google.ch and tick the "Only German
>> websites", something like {searchlang:de "Veronica Mars" DVD} and the
>> results are only German websites. Is there such a thing or will there ever be
>> one?

There is such a thing: just tack on [&cr=countryCH&lr=lang_de] to the end of your keywords, e.g. http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22Veronica%20Mars%22+DVD&cr=countryCH&lr=lang_de

You can mix and match the country [&cr=countryCH] and the language [&lr=lang_de], but unnatural pairs (say UK pages in German, or Swiss pages in Japanese) don't work very well, unsurprisingly.

You can also just use the language filter [&lr=lang_de]. But just using the country filter [&cr=countryCH] usually won't work from the 'wrong' TLD (e.g from .com).

If you do it a lot, then tailoring a search box in your browser (if you have a decent browser ;), or using a bookmarklet, might be easier than remembering and typing [&cr=countryCH&lr=lang_de]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!