Forum

Google Local Time Results  (View post)

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

Monday, June 12, 2006
18 years ago6,564 views

I guess it's a new feature...not yet listed on "Google Web Search Features"

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's about time they added this feature. (No pun intended... honestly!)

However, it doesn't seem to work for everywhere yet. At first I thought you had to enter a city rather than a state, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

I guess it's still in Beta...? ;-)

Gwyn [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It's been there for at least 3 wks. I discovered it by accident when I couldn't get my head around working out the time in New Zealand from here in Mexico...

Ken Kuhl [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

It works for most of the US cities I tried. But it does not work for Boston, Dallas, or Fort Worth. Yet it does work for smaller cities than those like St. Paul, Minneapolis, and Little Rock.

The 'weather' search function works for all 6 of the above cities, though. (eg. "dallas weather") Wonder why the disparity?

mms [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

That stuff is not reliable. Query "time in tallinn" result is off by minus one hour. Right – still in beta...

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

for fun, I just tried it on ask.com ... getting the same results.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

this is a new feature.. try using the searchlet in gmaill.. and I cant discover results as noted in the post and by other users..

SO I think this is new feature, being tested

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yeah it certainly getting rolled out slowy.. try "time in timbuktu" :)-

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Poor TimeandDate.com website. I bet their traffic just plummeted.

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

it doesn't take adjectives
swedish local time
or french time

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Not working with NYC...Works with Hong Kong, Berlin and Tokyo though.

Jeremy Felt [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Finally. Time.gov is so slow with their flash nonsense. This is much less ridiculous.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

it works for Jerusalem
but notbig cities like Tel Aviv, or Haifa.. :/

so, it is world wide..
but its a Beta version.. no doubt about it!

orli yakuel [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

David.. did you forgot that we are in the same time zone in all Israel?
So Google probebly chooce the capital.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&pwst=1&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=time+in+jerusalem&spell=1

Very nice.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

lol..
could be :P
but dont think so.. :/

smackfu [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I think this kind of thing is usually some guy's 10% project. I know that's the case for the calculator.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Trying this again, it seems to work intermittently. If you enter [time in london] (for example) and then reload the page again and again (or keep hitting "Search") it sometimes disappears. (This is usually the case with new features that are yet to be installed on all the servers...)

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I haven't seen it before.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Google does not show it for my places -the most beautiful- Bruges (Belgium). It does sometimes show for Brussels (Belgium). Ask.com indeed shows it for both Brussels & Bruges. Although Ask.com thinks Bruges is in France i.s.o. Belgium. Help!!!

Rich [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I found something that is new to ME. If you type in a food followed by the word recipe, you'll see a drop down to help you more directly find a recipe. And example search query would be 'tomato recipe'.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Art-One, that's because it got mulitple matches in ask. If you look, under the local time there's a link for the other Bruges, with some text that clarifies the query for ask (it adds Belgium to the query).

Blaine Collins [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

It loads a cookie from www.worldtimeserver.com.
That website offers a free analog clock for blogs or websites.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Niraj: It may be. I see there are a lot websites that are placing Bruges in France while it's still Belgium.

Chris C. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I remember checking a month or so ago and this did not work in Google. It did work – and was listed as an official feature – in Yahoo.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!