Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Earth 4  (View post)

Jorge Silva [PersonRank 1]

Monday, June 12, 2006
18 years ago6,580 views

I've donwloaded the english version but after I installed the menus appear in Portuguese: the country were I live. But all my software (including Windows) is in english..

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/39136.html ;-)

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

did you try changing the settings?!

probably language settings?

michperu [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I've downloaded the english version and works fine.

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

How? There are no settings for changing language.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Two amazing things:

-- Mac Version released at the same time.
-- SketchUp for mac (if it is integrated).

18 years ago #

Press release:

Google Announces Major Imagery Update for Google Earth, New Tools and Innovations in Mapping

Google Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG) today announced a series of updates to the company's mapping product suite, further illustrating Google's commitment to creating powerful tools for sharing geographic information. Announced live at Google's first Geo Developer Day, these innovations both connect users to information about the world around them, as well as address the growing needs of the developer community.

"We are excited to celebrate the one year anniversary of Google Earth and the Google Maps API with new technologies for these products," said John Hanke, director, Google Earth and Maps. "In the past year, we have had more than 100 million unique Google Earth downloads and have enabled over 30,000 websites to create mash-ups combining their own geographic data with the Google Maps API. The enthusiasm of the geo-developer community encourages us that these geo-based tools are connecting users to information in new and innovative ways."

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Linux version!!! Yay!!! Google is my hero!

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Everyone applaud this:

<<We got so excited around here about the first anniversary of Google Earth that we decided to celebrate a bit early. Beginning today, you can download a brand new version, Google Earth 4. Running on OS X? Feel the love. Prefer Linux? Ditto. Yes, we're releasing simultaneously for PC, Mac (universal binary for full performance on both Intel and PowerPC based Macs) and for the first time ever, native support for popular Linux distributions. And we should say "salut," "ciao," "hallo," and "hola" to our French, Italian, German and Spanish users, because Google Earth is now fully localized for those languages in addition to English. This includes a UI localized to French, Italian, German, and Spanish, as well as local search, driving directions, geo-coding, and unique local information layers for those countries.>>

This is one thing that Google has been slow at. Bringing its products to new platforms/languages. This needs saluting.

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Linux!!

Michael [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

There is only one version. The (Windows) UI language is chosen based in the "Windows Regional and Language Options" Change those to English, Italian, or whatever...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is a great update! Really like the new user interface. It's much more 'Google' like. Wonder if we'll get 3d data in the next release of maps? (since they want to make the two products the same)

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I love SketchUp. Oh man I wish I could marry it. Google has kinda ruined it for me.. before Google bought it people would be like omg how did you make that??

Now everyone knows :(

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

lol.. :)

and BTW, i didnt know that you dont have a language option on G-Earth :P
sorry..
but try changing your reign settings.. (XP's settings.. not G-Earth's settings :P) and then try d/l it again..

see what happens and post here a comment

18 years ago #

Other Feature:

New York
New York
Vereinigte Staaten
Einwohner: 8008278

Sorry for nen German speaking people :p

Kidding, it just says
New York
New York
United States
Habitants: 8008278

Works for all cities with a red dot.

Daniel [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Yes, the German UI language also irritated me. Just because I'm living in Germany doesn't actually mean that I have a German Windows installation... Tse.

Well, I got rid of the German stuff by renaming the following files/dirs in the Google Earth installation folder:

lang/de.qm
lang/default_myplaces_de_DE.kml
lang/qt_de.qm
res/de.locale

I simply appended a ".dontuse" to each of those and voila: Google Earth uses English instead of German everywhere. *broadgrin*

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Nice hack!!

g [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Who doesn't want Google as their default search engine...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!