Google Blogoscoped

Forum

"One search project" - Homepage redesign

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, June 15, 2006
18 years ago3,192 views

It's time for me to do a little bit of graphics once again.

This time I've tried to do what many have attempted in the past: re-design the google homepage. I've based it on what Larry Page said he wants Google to achieve in the future... a search engine that knows EXACTLY what you are looking for.

It includes google suggest (along with image enhancements) as standard; nice clean google coloured (but slightly pastel/dull).

The main difference in the design is the three buttons, replacing the "web | images | froogle" etc. --> it is task-focused: "search" will find exactly what you want; "store" is essentially a dynamic link to your Google storage; and "share" is google's attempt at social networking. Also, the final task, "personalize", will have the top bar dropping down to reveal the Personalized Homepage.

Haven't managed to work on the other tasks apart from search, yet. But here are two screenshots anyway:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6312/mygooglehomepage22yr.png

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5154/mygooglehomepage5ip.png

I may also work on a less "glassy" interface, for "NO IMAGES ALLOWED" fanboys.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

so absolutely no one likes it? fair enough. back to the drawing board.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

ha?
i think (something like 100% sure) that ive posted a comment here!
anyway..(if not), Cool design mate!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Interesting. But can you give an example query and what happens when you click "Store"? And what happens when you click "Share"?

18 years ago #

<<what happens when you click "Store"? And what happens when you click "Share"?>>
it probably switch places..
isnt it?!

18 years ago #

When I click what looks like a submit button I want to get some sort of result. So something would need to be done with my query...

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think Google should work on something similar to improve their onebox results to mean you only ever need one search and it WILL find what you wanted.

18 years ago #

I really think they should hire(or at least consider hiring) Mambo..

Great designer!!

try helping him out Philipp.. ;)

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well, Mambo, I follow David: Great design!!!

But give us more of that plz... Maybe you should work it out in this thread an we give our positive feedback so that you can optimise it...

18 years ago #

i agree.. :)

maybe it can take you somewhere.. (my dream is working at Google)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Thank you so, so much for the great comments everyone! Really are appreciated! (And i'd love it if you could get google onto me, phillip!) The chances =D

Ok guys here's my latest design. It's my favourite so far. Even though it doesnt look like it is, it is still based around topical queries. For example, Google Suggest technology would be implemented, but as well as suggesting words, it would also suggest which topic the search belongs to.

So, if you searched for "official google blog" – the "blog" button would appear right next to the main "search" button, but "froogle" would be further down in this list because it is irrelevant.

It's quite image-based, which could be off-putting. But as an initial design, it's fun to do such things without considering the web developer's perspective. It's the interface's design that counts.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5207/newsearch4ky.png

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Mambo, that's interesting idea but I think it's best to let the user decide which search they want to perform and scrolling through all the buttons on the right hand side could take a while – especially if the one you actually want is right a the top or down at the bottom!

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Mamo, could you also post a design with the result page also please?

18 years ago #

Mambo,
can you contact me?
orphandland[put at-character here]gmail.com

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ok mate i've sent you an e-mail! =)

I'll try and have a go at the results page, but i also want to perfect the general interface before i add extra pages.

18 years ago #

Mambo if you want to work with Google's design team you might just contact Doug Bowman directly:
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-05-28-n16.html

18 years ago #

you should try it Mambo!

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You have my support too but don't forget when you'll have the job to keep posting your design experiments over here...

18 years ago #

yeah..
and if you can, try to arrange me something over there.. :P

Good luck with that mate..(or as we say here in Israel: Mazal Tov :))

*although Mazal Tov refers to congratulations. and not good luck..
but, Mazal means Luck and Tov means Good..
(now you see why i cant stand this stupid language?)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yeah thanks guys!

I've sent an e-mail from the Stop Design site, so hopefully I will get a reply.

Thanks for all the faith in my designs! Expect a nice big project from me in the coming days/weeks.

18 years ago #

were all crossing our fingers mate!!
Goog Luck with that (get it ? ;))

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!