Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Checkout = purchases

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, June 17, 2006
18 years ago2,641 views

Garett just put a post up about checkout.googe.com

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=234

Right now it just brings me to my account info page. The login for both purchases.google.com and checkout.google.com both refer to the same service, "sierra"

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

when I log onto purchases or checkout I'm redirected to a list of my purchases history... so what is the "launch" we're waiting on? i'm not following that bit. you can already sell stuff on google base with purchases and the google store and google videos use purchases.

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think the key to it all is a universal payment system much like paypal. Currently, in order to use google "payment" services, the transaction needs occur inside of google base. I believe google is trying to re-invent the wheel, only better with this one. Ways this could be done; 1. Lower transaction fee's; 2. Better services, ie inventory database (this would be done with base). Maybe I'm of in left field, but this is what I'm looking for.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

two domains.. hmmm
i stumbled upon an interesting domain the other day:
shopping.google.com = froogle.google.com

i dont know if its old news or something.. just wanted to let you knwo ;)

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

by the way:
purchases.google.com and checkout.google.com , both redirect me to a 2005 Google Accounts page (and its missing the mysterious 4th link)

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

lol :P (shopping=froggle)

As for the 2005 mention, if you look at the code for the "New Account" page for the "sierra" service it still has a "Caribou" reference. Mayby this is an example of Google employee's using the internal code base (as mentioned by ZorbaTHut) so they don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> i dont know if its old news or something..

Yep. Old news. More here:

http://ruscoe.net/google/google-subdomains/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!