Google Blogoscoped

Forum

What the heck is google base?

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, June 17, 2006
18 years ago2,353 views

Right,

Let's just get this clear – what the heck is google base?

I follow google to the bone, and understand every single service, apart from this one. A place to store information? I thought that's what the web was for.

At the moment, it looks pretty damn lame to me.

I know it's been out for ages – but that's the point... I still don't understand it.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

it's a way to store labeled, attributed, specific information. it's also a way to submit certian types of information to google i.e. froogle data, business location (maps) data, etc. It's a way to use google purchases to sell stuff like ebay using google purchases. i've used it to find recipes several times.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It might be a form of cheap SEO (=getting your products into Google.com in the future). It might be some kinda eBay of the future...

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Cool – so it's got potential for mass use.

Thanks for the explanation. Better than wikipedia.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yeah, but you can also use Froogle
froogle.google.com / shopping.google.com

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> "yeah, but you can also use Froogle
froogle.google.com / shopping.google.com"

To be honest, i think froogle is lame. It just never finds what you want.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

ha?
of course it does!

well, if youre searching for a hitman i doubt it will find something but i dunno... it works fine for me .. :/

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

=)

Yeah it's brilliant for general stuff. Like I'm sure "pc" returns thousands of lovely Dells (dont make me sick). But if you try searching for "Crucial 1GB PC3200 DDR400 Unbuffered", then, the story might be slightly different.

Feel free to prove me wrong: i haven't tried these queries yet =D

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Mambo: I think results are not so bad after all.

Check it yourselves: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Crucial+1GB+PC3200+DDR400+Unbuffered&btnG=Search+Froogle

I did a search e.g. on Sun Servers, and i found e.g. a Sun 15K, that's a huge machine...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!